• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire recomendations...

themangeraaad

NAXJA Forum User
First off, I have a 3 in BDS lift, which might actually be a bit more than 3 as it is quite a stiff suspension system and seems to ride a bit more than 3 over stock. Anyway, I was looking into running a 32 in tire (with quite a bit of fender trimming as needed) or possibly 31s, but I cant really decide between tires, I mean, cant really test them before I buy them... although it would be nice... but I also wanted to try and run an 11.50 or even 12.50 if possible. Any recomendations? Right now i have
31x10.50 truxus MTs
31x12.50 or 32x11.50 procomp MTs
31x11.50 Mickey Thompson MTX
31x12.50 or 32x11.50 SSRs
31x10.50 Mickey Thompson Radial Claws

I know some tires on that list definately outdo others, but for mud and wooded trail runs, what would you recomend. I would probably be running them on a rockcrawler wheel with 3.75 backspacing. What would y'all recomend, esp whats best for the money?

i have bfg mt on mine. I have heard that maxxis is really good for sidewall strength. but i mayjust be stabbing in the darkon that one.

Of the tires listed, i would only let the truxus mt's anywhere near my jeep. :)

bfg mt is another good choice

mt/r obviously is near the top of the list

Notice that the guys recommending the MTR's are from Ca. They are good in the rocks but not in mud. For the type of trails you said you are going to run go with the Trxus. JIM.

Not a lot of others running these, but I like my Dunlop MR's. Had BFG's before and I can't tell the difference. Unless of course you count the price. $105 ea installed at Sam's club for 31x10.50x15.

I have a BDS 3" as well and i run the Trxus M/T's love them great all around tire.

I have an RE 3.5" lift on a '95 xj and run the Trxus MTs. I have never been disappointed. Not nearly as smooth on the freeway as an AT type tire but you're going to get that with any of the tires you listed.

We sell the hell out of some Trxus M/T's and I'm going to be putting some on my xj when I buy tires next. They are great and are priced pretty fairly. If not the Trxus, I'd go with the BFG's. I've run those too, and you just about can't beat them for daily driver/trail use.

non-stick said:
Not a lot of others running these, but I like my Dunlop MR's. Had BFG's before and I can't tell the difference. Unless of course you count the price. $105 ea installed at Sam's club for 31x10.50x15.

I have them in 30 x 9.50 and I love them. They are wearing well and aren't too awfully bad for noise. For the price, you can't beat them.

Kyle :cheers:

Now... one questions I have had, I do have plans on bumping my 3 in to a 4.5 in lift in the next year or 2 with a shackel and coil spring spacer (possibly using rustys adjustable coil spring spacers incase I decide to get u-bolt eliminators to give more lift later) But how much trimming would be nesesary to fit 33 in tires on a 3 in lift? Like I said, it seems to ride a bit more than 3 in higher than stock, so I cant give a perfect number. I also planned on doing some serious trimming this summer, paticularly if I were to run 33s as I am sure it would be necesary. Possibly running 33s with major trimming and custom fenders, but would it even be practical to attempt something like this? Could it effectively be done and is it a resonable goal? (esp for a DD)

Back