NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old November 11th, 2008, 10:46
Jays siik xj's Avatar
Jays siik xj Jays siik xj is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Redlands/Highland
Posts: 2,276
Driving lights stay on!

And keeps killing my freaking battery!

Gotta 89 laredo... Cant figure out why my driving lights stay on. Checked the switch, changed it and it still does it. =/


Brake lights dont work either. (just found that out lastnight) havent checked it out yet.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old November 11th, 2008, 10:51
89xj 89xj is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: aston,pa
Posts: 3,899
Re: Driving lights stay on!

driving lights - relay could be stuck closed
brake lights - bad brake light switch on brake pedal arm
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old November 11th, 2008, 10:57
Skully Skully is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dacono, Co.
Posts: 2,101
Re: Driving lights stay on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays siik xj View Post
And keeps killing my freaking battery!

Gotta 89 laredo... Cant figure out why my driving lights stay on. Checked the switch, changed it and it still does it. =/


Brake lights dont work either. (just found that out lastnight) havent checked it out yet.
Before you go chasing wires and relays couple notes.

On the older XJ's if you do not turn off your headlights before shutting off the motor and turning off the ignition they will stay on until you re-insert the key and turn on the ignition. I have a '90 and it does this, quite annoying if you forget to turn off your lights before shutting down and pulling the key. Make sure that is not what you are doing.

Did you check the bulbs in the tailight housings?

Do that first before you think it is a wiring issue.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old November 11th, 2008, 13:38
Jays siik xj's Avatar
Jays siik xj Jays siik xj is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Redlands/Highland
Posts: 2,276
Re: Driving lights stay on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skully View Post
Before you go chasing wires and relays couple notes.

On the older XJ's if you do not turn off your headlights before shutting off the motor and turning off the ignition they will stay on until you re-insert the key and turn on the ignition. I have a '90 and it does this, quite annoying if you forget to turn off your lights before shutting down and pulling the key. Make sure that is not what you are doing.

Did you check the bulbs in the tailight housings?

Do that first before you think it is a wiring issue.

I just replaced all my bulbs about 4 days ago (before I started driving my Heep again)

At first the headlights and driving lights would stay on all the time... I didnt change anything or do anything and its just the driving lights that stay on always. As soon as I connected my battery for the first time they were on.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old November 11th, 2008, 15:13
Blaine B.'s Avatar
Blaine B. Blaine B. is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 6,137
Re: Driving lights stay on!

Well if you don't turn off the lights before pulling the key out an they NEVER go off (even 30 seconds later) that means the headlight delay box is dead. It's not a feature to keep the lights on forever if turned off after pulling the key.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old November 11th, 2008, 15:39
four_shot's Avatar
four_shot four_shot is offline
How 'bout it Gonzo
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Waukegan, IL
Posts: 785
Re: Driving lights stay on!

check the fuse box...my brake, t-signal and heater fuse sockets rotted to the point that the box started melting. turns out that the clutch master was leaking down the fire wall into the box. if you don't have the firewall mouned fuse box under the drivers side of the dash, then this obviously doesn't apply and I just wasted a whole bunch of time...lol hth
__________________
....
4shot
"Elmer" 99 sport 4.0 aw4
R.I.P."Babs" 97 sport 4.0 aw4
R.I.P."Buster" 86 laredo 2.8 ax5 10/85-9/17
In memory of Dave "Gonzo" Steele 1975-2008
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old November 11th, 2008, 16:41
Dobbs Dobbs is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Cuba,MO
Posts: 167
Re: Driving lights stay on!

Hello mine is a92 and has the sentnal lighting they do stay on for about 30 sec after you turn off the key with lights on and turn off your headlight switch if they stay on longer the relay for them is bad.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old November 11th, 2008, 17:06
Skully Skully is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dacono, Co.
Posts: 2,101
Re: Driving lights stay on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaine B. View Post
Well if you don't turn off the lights before pulling the key out an they NEVER go off (even 30 seconds later) that means the headlight delay box is dead. It's not a feature to keep the lights on forever if turned off after pulling the key.

....more like 30 minutes

Least what it feels like, I hate that feature............

Just remove your headlights you don't need no stinking headlights!

Probably the box, I don't think that is a parts store item either. You have to order it?

I had a problem with the trailer hitch light. When ever it would rain or road water it would short out my turn signals and tailights. I eventually just clipped it and taped it up my prob went away. (Never tow anywho) Must have been getting moisture in the seal box and would cross/short out the wiring.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Parking lights stay on?!? NoCoastFocus OEM Tech Discussion 3 January 6th, 2007 07:38
Lights Stay On noresttill OEM Tech Discussion 1 April 16th, 2006 07:45
parking lights stay on negativecreep OEM Tech Discussion 3 April 9th, 2005 19:19
aux driving lights 97XJ Modified Tech Discussion 3 November 6th, 2004 19:29
fog lights won't stay on chad Modified Tech Discussion 8 June 26th, 2003 16:54


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 23:38.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
NAXJA and NAXJA logo's Copyright NAXJA. All content/images Copyright NAXJA 1999-2014