NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old July 18th, 2006, 11:10
NAXJA Forum User

Re: alternator upgrade 160 amp ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-90
Yeah, I'd figured I'd have to go to Venezuela next - what are they paying for gasoline, something like twenty-five cents a gallon?

How do you route that head to battery cable without hanging up on anyting, anyhow? I'm a bit curious about that. Also, why? I'd think you'd have a good ground there as long as your head bolts are sound, using the main block ground (and if your head bolts are unsound, you've got bigger problems anyhow, haven't you?)

Last question - one of the pix of your cables almost looks like they're "spiral-wrapped" of some sort - is that tape for colour-coding, or did your cable come that way? I've not seen that before...

Yeah, I suppose my views of Araby are tainted by my first visit - much like my views of France (the first time I went there, I was sent to Paris. Ugh.) Still and all, I haven't found any reasons to go back, and we're planning on going to Scotland, maybe Germany and Greece, for our tenth (I really do want to see Balnagown Castle...)

5-90
I've heard that the Venezuelan women are beautiful so that alone could be a good reason for going there.
Good point about the head bolts making a good ground but I went for overkill with the head to battery ground (I did say that adequate doesn't cut the mustard for me). I zip tied it to the upper radiator hose.
Those "spiral wrapped" cables were black welding cables but I wrapped them with red tape to colour code them. I couldn't find welding cable in any other colour than black so I had to improvise.
Scotland's beautiful (apart from the weather most of the time) and you'll have a great time. The Scots are friendly and will make you feel most welcome.
Old July 18th, 2006, 12:20
NAXJA Forum User

I've been through Holy Lock and Edinburgh, although I never did get to stay long.

Balnagown Castle, ancestral seat of Clan Ross. That's why I'd like to go - I can claim both Ross and MacLeod in my history, and I've met enough Scots over here to think I'd really enjoy the trip.

Venezuelan women? Brother, I'm married (rather happily, I might add,) which will allow me to focus upon my primary objective - doing something about fuel prices.

Like I'd said, start with the people who pump it out of the ground, then go after the refiners. A two-pronged approach, with other objectives added as they are noted. I'm getting awful damn tired of $3+ per gallon. What are you paying in the UAE, might I ask? (What are you doing there, anyhow? I thought you were from Cyprus?)

5-90
Old July 18th, 2006, 15:14
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
What are you paying in the UAE, might I ask? (What are you doing there, anyhow? I thought you were from Cyprus?)

5-90
I'm British-born and my parents are from Cyprus (the Greek side). I lived in the UK for nearly 29 years, then Saudi for 13-1/2 years, and moved to the UAE only a year ago bringing my Jeep with me from Saudi. If you do the maths, you'll find I'm 43 though I look a lot younger. I pass gas for a living (as an anesthesiologist) at Tawam Hospital here in Al Ain. You'll find my name on the staff list:

http://www.tawam-hosp.gov.ae/MedicalDeps/anesthesia.htm

Gasoline is $1.40 per gallon here in the UAE compared to $0.60 per gallon in Saudi so I usually end up paying about $25 each time I fill up the tank (I usually have a couple of gallons left). I drive about 300 miles per week and that's about as long as each tankful lasts (average 17mpg US or 20mpg Imperial). I could do better but I have a brick stuck to my right foot (I'm a speed freak so what would you expect?).
When I do get around to swapping in my 130amp alternator and the homebrew 2AWG alternator output cable to PDC (with 150 amp fuse), I also plan to get rid of the fan pulley since I don't have a fan attached to it. I already have a shorter serpentine belt for the job but I'll need to remove the alternator mounting bracket and notch it to clear the belt. My belt configuration will look like this:

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/BELT6_mod.JPG
Old July 18th, 2006, 15:31
NAXJA Forum User

I knew you were a gas-passer (probably read it on your site...) but I'd always wondered what you were doing in Araby. Hell, I'd probably have stayed in England - a British accent on a female voice sounds so much better than an Arabic one...

I'd still take $1.40/gallon over the $3.15/gallon I'll probably pay to-day - not ideal, but tolerable. This is just getting ridiculous, and expecting Congress to "investigate" is like setting the fox to guard the chicken coop. Gawd help us.

5-90
Old July 19th, 2006, 08:37
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
I knew you were a gas-passer (probably read it on your site...) but I'd always wondered what you were doing in Araby. Hell, I'd probably have stayed in England

Gas is ~$6.60 per gallon in England so I don't think you'd wanna stay there unless you're content to drive around in a little four-banger. Forget about driving a Jeep 4.0/stroker or a V8 unless you have deep pockets or you're prepared to drive it only on weekends.
I'm staying over here in the hope that a stinking rich sheikh will give me an oil well as a Christmas present.