NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old July 17th, 2006, 12:07
NAXJA Forum User

Gas tank skid

I am trying to design a gas tank skid for myself. Does anyone have anything I should take into consideration before I begin planning I want to make sure I know everything. I am using 1/8" steel and I am planning on welding it all not bending.
Old July 17th, 2006, 15:09
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Gas tank skid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeper01
Does anyone have anything I should take into consideration before I begin planning I want to make sure I know everything.
Yes-- OEM gas tank skids are tough, cheap, and readily available. Designing your own tank skid would be slow and expensive. Unless you cannot use a stock piece--different tank or something-- I would check out a salvage yard before tackling this project.
Old July 17th, 2006, 16:25
NAXJA Forum User

Unless you are getting the metal at a good price or free i dont think it would be worth it. and if your on a budget then your best bet for a good skid would be doing what Shomsky462 did

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthrea...=gas+tank+skid
Old July 17th, 2006, 16:27
NAXJA Member

I've seen the stock skids and I don't know how much they would help over a real skid. Proably better then the plastic piece I have but....on second though I should take a look at a stock plate. Been awhile since I've seen one. Bending it would be better if you can, roll the edges and box it in with aprox. 1-2" sides. Not much too it really.
Old July 17th, 2006, 18:16
NAXJA Forum User

Mine is 3/16 plate. Flat under the tank then bent at an angle up to the bumper I made as well. The bumper has tabs on it that I drilled an tapped to hold the bumper. 2 arms going to the unibody in the front where angle is bolted to spread the load. If I had a digital camera and could figure out how to post the pictures I would. I can borrow a camera if you like. This will hold up to anything. Put a floor jack under it and lifted up the whole Jeep. Built once and never have to mess with it. Salvage yard for steel. I spent less than $15.
Old July 17th, 2006, 18:29
NAXJA Forum User

It's very worth it to design and build your own skid.
This one, that I built about three years ago, cost about $30 in materials AND it's loads stronger than any skid that came from the factory.....
I think I used 1/8".

You do have a hitch, right?
Old July 18th, 2006, 11:48
NAXJA Forum User

I am planning on making 2 skids, and the 4x8 sheet of steel is 50$. I just need something to do instead of sit around the house.
Old July 18th, 2006, 12:12
NAXJA Forum User

Can you manipulate a sheet? Meaning you can buy Flat stock like 6" x 1/8 or 8 x 3/16. It would be easeir to handle unless you have access to a shear or plasma cutter. It might be cheaper to.
Old July 18th, 2006, 12:37
NAXJA Forum User

That would be a lot easier than using an angle grinder and a cutoff wheel, like I did.
Old July 18th, 2006, 13:57
NAXJA Forum User

Okie...is that just welded to the hitch. That's simple...and really nice.
Old July 18th, 2006, 14:08
NAXJA Forum User

Yeah, it's just welded inside and along the tube you see.
It is mounted to the XJ by the bolts that hold the hitch.
Old July 18th, 2006, 18:13
NAXJA Forum User

Stocker skids are better than nothing. They'll take some moderate hits alright....however, I just totally bashed my stock skid in this weekend. Like you look at it from the back and it's totally bent in.

I think I may have to try Okie terry's solution...looks solid, and makes the design of the mounting and physically mounting the skid a whole lot easier!!
Old July 18th, 2006, 18:24
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjma
Stocker skids are better than nothing. They'll take some moderate hits alright....however, I just totally bashed my stock skid in this weekend. Like you look at it from the back and it's totally bent in.

I think I may have to try Okie terry's solution...looks solid, and makes the design of the mounting and physically mounting the skid a whole lot easier!!
Consider if you beat it back out again you can add reinforcing strips and weld them on. Okies looks good but would not work here in the NE, you need to be able to get the mud out that gets scooped in there otherwise your tank gets smaller and smaller and smaller.
This is my factory skid, notice the channels next to the hook, lets me clean it out nicely
http://www.rjpsystems.com/rearhook.jpeg
Old July 18th, 2006, 18:46
NAXJA Forum User

My tank already is smaller and smaller and smaller!! and it's got holes in it for the mud to drain. The stock skid is pretty good for most, but doesn't really hold up well to guys like me that like to run big rock trails that I really have no business trying to run in the first place.

If you look at okies, he doesn't have anything in the front to prevent stuff from falling down in the front. With the amount of clearance he has, I doubt that protecting the front of the gastank is an issue. I guess you coudl also do a hole saw or two to in the bottom.

I've heard of the reinforcing option. I even have some 3/16 plate to do that with...but grinding that rubberized stuff off of the stock skid to weld onto is no fun!! I already did modify another stock skid...it's sitting in the basement...
Old July 18th, 2006, 20:03
NAXJA Forum User

Okie
got any demensions on that
I had been thinking of that exact fab but just have not spent the time to do it yet
now that I see a prototype I am ready to do it