• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How bad is your rear main oil leak?

blakews2217

NAXJA Forum User
Who’s got the worst rear main oil leak? I know mines pretty bad but idk if it’s the worst. I’ll post pics when I can.

Mods: if this is in the wrong spot please feel free to move it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a 90 that looked like the Exxon Valdez had crashed wherever it was parked overnight. On the upside, the chassis was thoroughly protected from road salt.

I'm going to completely reseal that engine before it goes in the next one.

Mine had a small leak I used Blue Devil rear Main seal leak fix and it doesnt leak any more.

Just replaced my RMS. I don't think it was leaking but the oil pan gasket was shot nearest the exhaust. Made a mess out of everything.

From my experience, probably over half of what people think is a rear main seal leak is actually a valve cover leak at the back of the head.

That's why you start at the top and work down. :) Valve cover gasket, oil filter housing, pan/rear main.

When I bought mine the valve cover gasket leaked a quart a week. PO was too cheap to buy the gasket. Would rather buy 4 quarts of oil a month, 52 quarts a year. Thats like $150 a year if you buy the cheap stuff. Replaced that gasket and dropped oil loss down to less than a quart between oil changes.

I don't think my RMS leaks. Haven't looked into where the oil is leaking now as it doesn't drop much in my driveway now.

From my experience, probably over half of what people think is a rear main seal leak is actually a valve cover leak at the back of the head.

I thought I had a rear main oil leak but upon inspection realized that it is important to tighten the oil drain plug completely...

I have no idea if my RMS leaked because my valve cover, oil pan, and oil filter adapter all leaked. I replaced it all and now none of those things leak except for the small seepage of oil coming from the right side of the head gasket.

great, now that I fixed it.

I think my adapter is a T55 btw... '98

Back