NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old July 14th, 2006, 23:03
NAXJA Forum User

alternator upgrade 160 amp ?

has anybody tried or done this upgrade? i know the dodge durango 136 amp are swappable to our alterantor, would it be the same with the 2002 and later durango alternator with the 160 amp and will it be safe to run with our XJ without major wiring concerns? any input will be appreciated.
Old July 14th, 2006, 23:51
NAXJA Forum User

Re: alternator upgrade 160 amp ?

Link in sig - I can source high-current wiring for you, and San Jose Generator can source high-output alternators. Check both of us out (I built the pages for Rod at SJG, but you still deal directly with him. Contact information is on the pages.)

5-90
Old July 15th, 2006, 00:10
NAXJA Forum Supporter

Forgive me if I seem dull about this...

The newer XJs use the PCM to supply field regulation for the Alternator, and I have always thought that you used a reguator for a specific application....

So, if you installed one of these Delco style high output Alternators, wouldn't it throw a code?

Or, if you put on a larger that stock Alternator of the same flavor, wouldn't it demand more ( or a different) output from the computer to regulate the field?
Old July 15th, 2006, 00:21
NAXJA Forum User

Yes, installing a Delco would throw a code. However, Rod also makes high-output Nippondenso alternators, which are compatible with the PCM regulator that ChryCo came up with (which still doesn't seem like a good idea to me, but I never did like integrated assemblies. I vastly prefer the "modular" approach, which makes it easier to service a system rather than having to replace a component that controls everything.

5-90
Old July 15th, 2006, 09:07
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-90
San Jose Generator can source high-output alternators.
5-90
what will be the big difference between his alternator and the one i can get off the yard of the store? i will consider your wiring. just need to be sure it will work.
Old July 15th, 2006, 13:17
NAXJA Forum User

I think the big difference will be the fact that, unlike the store, you'll be dealing DIRECTLY with the guy that does the rebuilding and testing: and, unlike the yard, you'll KNOW what you're getting.

I've always been a little leery about buying electrics from a yard - especially if I don't plan on rebuilding them first thing.

As far as fitment, his units WILL fit - unless you specify something non-standard for your application - which will also make your life easier.

I can't think of any search keys offhand, but if you pillage around here, you'll see where we've beaten the idea of "mass market rebuilds" to death - they're bought by the chains for a fraction of what you pay, a "lifetime warranty" is offered because failures are common (while I was wasting time behind the counter, a return rate of 60-120% was not uncommon. Yes, some were returned SEVERAL times!) and the stores are paying low costs and playing the odds on the rebuilds.

Sorry, but "Homie don't play dat." Rod's work is truly "install and forget" - he rebuilds everything right there, and it don't go out unless it's been bench-tested. The only time I've had to buy anything like a "replacement" from him is when I'd gotten another vehicle, and didn't have a spare on the shelf when I needed one.

5-90
Old July 15th, 2006, 14:43
NAXJA #1499

i can vouch for the upgrade cables as well, well worth the investment and priced competively. Jeep starts better, lights are brighter, etc. even with the stock 90 amp alternator and the ANL fuse kit is well worth it if you're jumping up to a high amp alternator and need a high amp type fuse protection.

I certainly wouldn't plan on upgrading to a high amp alternator and running that power through the factory harness. Golf balls and garden hoses come to mind.
Old July 16th, 2006, 14:04
NAXJA Forum User

I just upgraded my power cables in preparation for a future 130amp alternator swap (it's been sitting in a box for months). Here's my write-up:

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/Power_Cables.html

A big thank you to John (5-90). . Without his helpful info. I don't think I would have tackled the job by myself.