• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

C8.25 disc swap ?s

Not meaning to hijack someone else's thread, but I have a question related to the topic at hand.

I've got a set of KJ Liberty backing plates from the junk yard, a new set of Power Stop S4754 calipers, and some Centric 103.09640 pads, all of which I'm hoping to install this week on my '99 XJ. The axle's an 8.25 that came off of an '01 XJ.

I didn't grab the soft hoses from the donor KJ because I figured I'd rather get a new set. So now I'm looking on line and am finding that there are different part numbers for KJ hoses for every model year (not to mention TJ and other potential matches). The end fittings all look the same to me, judging by the pictures, so I guess the differences are in mounting tabs and maybe lengths? I don't know. Can someone give me some guidance here? Am I right about the end fittings all being the same? Is there such a thing as a "universal" brake hose? Can someone recommend a specific set of hoses based on experience? Any informed advice would be appreciated.

Not meaning to hijack someone else's thread, but I have a question related to the topic at hand.

I've got a set of KJ Liberty backing plates from the junk yard, a new set of Power Stop S4754 calipers, and some Centric 103.09640 pads, all of which I'm hoping to install this week on my '99 XJ. The axle's an 8.25 that came off of an '01 XJ.

I didn't grab the soft hoses from the donor KJ because I figured I'd rather get a new set. So now I'm looking on line and am finding that there are different part numbers for KJ hoses for every model year (not to mention TJ and other potential matches). The end fittings all look the same to me, judging by the pictures, so I guess the differences are in mounting tabs and maybe lengths? I don't know. Can someone give me some guidance here? Am I right about the end fittings all being the same? Is there such a thing as a "universal" brake hose? Can someone recommend a specific set of hoses based on experience? Any informed advice would be appreciated.

In my research I found reference to keeping the soft lines off of the donor because of the mounting system. I assumed this was for the caliper side but now that you mention it, that may have been in reference to the bracket on the inverted flair end. Mine came from a ZJ with ABS and had a mounting bracket on the female inverted flair end. The hose wasn't long enough to make that mount reach anything I felt like bolting it to on my XJ so I cut it off. All I had to do was bend my stock hard line to point up and the ZJ hose was enough to make the u-turn down into it. Not saying it isn't possible but brake calipers in general seem pretty universal as far as the soft hos inlet. I don't think every model KJ would have different calipers so the mount on the other end must be what is different between them all.

If you want to go ahead and replace all of your lines with home custom ss braided, the parts are becoming more widely available for that too.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rus-640541?rrec=true

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ear-581531erl?rrec=true

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aer-fcc0320

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aer-fbm1100/overview/

Not sure if these are exactly what you need but just an example of what is out there to get you from the t block on the axle to the caliper in one piece.

Thanks for that info, but I’m hoping for a somewhat easier and quicker solution.

I stumbled over this post in another thread, which sheds some light on the issue:

I used the brake hoses from the Liberty as well. You can only use hoses from the 06+ Liberty I found out. The 05 and down did not screw onto the metal brake line. They were integrated onto the whole rear line. (one piece)

I guess I’m slowly finding the answer to my own question.

For my conversion I used the brake hoses from a ZJ because it screws right to the caliper and screws right into the existing hard lines on the cherokee.
Liberty Lines do not come apart where it changes from soft to hard line making it a pain to use . ( i heard later years of libby hoses are 2 piece)
Although on one side i hade to grind down that little lip on the block piece that mounts to the caliper for some reason . but it works great and no leaks.

Any further insights or advice would still be appreciated.

Just got 05 liberty backing plates and hardlines,calipers.
Someone took the rotors already. I didn't take the e brake stuff as it looks way short going into the liberty rear seat, but I did grab the two pieces for the e brake mechanism on the backing plate.
Looks like I'll need rotors and a hardware kit for the e brake, plus find some e brake cables if the liberty's don't fit.
I to am curious as nimrod is as to the fitment of the lines, I took them just in case I can use them and not bend the stock line.

Did anyone leave off the dust shield when you installed discs?

Also another thought, I have an upcountrt non abs jeep. Was the tow package proportioned any different? I've read the zj proportioning valve is negligible.

MORE makes brake cables for 8.8 axle swaps that work perfectly for TJ/KJ disc brake swap

X 1000 on these. I originally used SS hoses for a GC (available from me) but they caused me to remove them because I couldn't pull the calipers off w/o removing the hoses. I ended up having some new custom length hoses made.
New ones by........ http://brake-hose.com/braided-stainless

New ones.....
P1080577_zps93piic4z.jpg

old ones.....
P1080480_zpsxzirn0x5.jpg

P1080481_zpsmeoobn1a.jpg

MORE makes brake cables for 8.8 axle swaps that work perfectly for TJ/KJ disc brake swap
so too, some colorado guys i can support!

X 1000 on these. I originally used SS hoses for a GC (available from me) but they caused me to remove them because I couldn't pull the calipers off w/o removing the hoses. I ended up having some new custom length hoses made.

How long ago was this, their build link is down. Any specs on the size/type line you built? Did you simply bend your stock line to fit your made line and bracket? Any re flaring done?

Nimrod it seems you've found the lines 05> don't work on the stock xj breather/ break line block, crap. Ide hoped not to ghetto bend the stock lines, but guess it can be temporary.

I want to add that I've got a NIB set of ZJ rubber hoses too. What I didn't do was to look at a ZJ to see what routing they did. I'm not sure it would have made a difference since the ZJ's are coil-over.

How long ago was this, their build link is down. Any specs on the size/type line you built? Did you simply bend your stock line to fit your made line and bracket? Any re flaring done?

I just called them with the length I wanted. I also used the original hard lines with minor reforming.

I used ebrake cables (same ones both sides, for my 96) 95-2049PC5 from G2 (this is who i ordered my rear brake kit from).

The rear brake kit from G2 also came with stoptech braided lines for the rear calipers. i will post those numbers when i get home, as they were labeled and you can purchase them individually. i was quite happy with the fitment.

Back