NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old June 16th, 2019, 15:06
NAXJA Forum User

Melted electrical connection...what to do?

So I put a headlight wiring kit from LMC Truck on my '96 Cherokee that circumvents the normal wiring and runs the headlights directly off the battery by way of a relay. The kit runs the lights at 55/100 (low, hi) watts instead of the original 55/60. One reason I did this was because the light output was terrible, and the other was because for some unknown reason the headlights would shut off after being on hi for a bit. Never did this on low. I've had the new wiring kit on for a few years now and it seems to have solved the issue.

The problem I'm having now though is that this new harness is melting at one of the connections...

You can see only one of the wires is overheating while the other seems to be ok. I'm guessing the hot one is used by the high beams.

What could be causing this? Could it be related to why the high beams used to shut off before I replaced the wiring harness? A while back I asked about the shutting off issue on a number of Jeep boards but nobody had heard of this particular problem before.
Old June 16th, 2019, 15:34
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Melted electrical connection...what to do?

Sorry about the big a## pic, not sure how to resize it. The melted harness is on the right side toward the bottom of the pic.
Old June 16th, 2019, 20:53
Stranger

I am going to guess that there is a poor connection creating high resistance.

It appears the other line is also heating up. Looking at the splice next to the battery terminal it looks like that has begun to turn black in the middle.

Why is the one wire all wrapped up in tape? Melted insulation?

Have you checked your headlight grounds?

Baby it's cold outside.
Old June 20th, 2019, 20:54
NAXJA Member

What size is that wire? Looks like it might too small to handle the headlight current draw? It seems like those cheap plastic connectors are always the first thing to go. Poor connection equals high resistance means melted wiring.
Old June 21st, 2019, 06:11
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippled View Post
What size is that wire? Looks like it might too small to handle the headlight current draw? It seems like those cheap plastic connectors are always the first thing to go. Poor connection equals high resistance means melted wiring.
In addition to taking it all apart and cleaning it properly.

1996 XJ; 4.0L; AW4; NP231; SYE; D30 and D44; ECTED; 4.10 gears; 30X9.5 -15 BFG/AT/KO; 3" lift; Rusty's LCA; JKS ADJ UCA; Kevins ADJ Track bar; Drawtite Front Receiver; Dual Electric Fans; Dual Battaries.
Old June 23rd, 2019, 19:24
NAXJA Forum User

You need a new battery post clamp too, it is over tightened. Replace the wires, eliminate the connector, solder the connection, and add fuse(s) as close as possible to the battery.

What are the wires there for?