NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old June 11th, 2019, 11:29
NAXJA Member #1310

Re: XJ radiators, a review.

Now that the weather is warming up, it will be interesting to see how these various radiators respond to summer heat and driving conditions.
Cooler season reviews don't mean much, almost any radiator will do the job when it's not hot out.
01 Sport, 4.6L Russ Pottenger 4.6, AW4, 4" lift, 33 X 10.50 KM2, 4.56-8.25 TruTrac, D-30-E-Locker with alloy shafts, Hidden M8000 winch, Vanco front and ZJ rear disc brakes, Frame stiffeners, Lots of armor, Towing baseplate. http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/c...7603770130683/
1997 Country, Mostly stock, 2" lift, Engine mods, NP242, Towing baseplate
Old June 11th, 2019, 13:08
NAXJA Forum User

Looks like Spectra may have changed things up a little.

Fittings are not removable.

Some 5/8-18 IF x 6AN dropped right in, and are working leak free.

Overall, impressed so far with the quality for what it is.

I will note as others have however, that the inlet/outlet are blocked a bit.

But so far, holding temp just fine.

Old June 11th, 2019, 13:08
NAXJA Forum User

Sorry, fitting are *now* removable.

I'd go back and edit...but...you know... and all.
Old July 15th, 2019, 04:28
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehall View Post
I ordered the Mishimoto after some more research. Fins per inch and tube size and better heat transfer through the contact points, should be much more effective than the smaller brass with lead solder on the fins.
Mid-90s yesterday and I took a small road trip (3 hours each way) for some light off-roading in the foothills of northwestern MD. That and the month or so of driving on it around town, I can say the mishimoto is significantly better at shedding heat than the Mopar HD. Previously it would creep into the red and I would have to pull over if it was 90 degrees or 70 mph on the highway. Yesterday with both it got 225ish on the gauge a couple of times but never overheated. Need to do my timing chain I think, but as far as heat-shedding the Mishimoto is very good
Old July 15th, 2019, 05:05
NAXJA Forum User

My Summit HD Radiator seems to be doing fine with cooling. It's been in the low 90's and while stop/go driving around town in traffic w/the AC blowing... and also driving up and down the highway @ 75 mph it's kept the temps at ~ 200-205 F all day long. Never seen it go up too the mid mark (215) on my dash gauge and my OBD diagnostic tool is reading 205. I'm happy w/that and hopefully it'll last for years to come. Temps used to fluctuate a lot more w/the old All Aluminum rad this one replaced.

Not nearly as pretty as my old All Aluminum Rad I replaced but so long as it keeps my XJ cool I'm good w/that.
Old July 15th, 2019, 17:59
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehall View Post
Mid-90s yesterday and I took a small road trip (3 hours each way) for some light off-roading in the foothills of northwestern MD. That and the month or so of driving on it around town, I can say the mishimoto is significantly better at shedding heat than the Mopar HD. Previously it would creep into the red and I would have to pull over if it was 90 degrees or 70 mph on the highway. Yesterday with both it got 225ish on the gauge a couple of times but never overheated. Need to do my timing chain I think, but as far as heat-shedding the Mishimoto is very good
You have a built engine I guess. Do you also have an AW4? Based on what you wrote, your XJ have always been running high temperature. I wonder why?

Well, you have been running in the hills unlike my XJ which spends most,... most of its time in Florida and now in central Texas. I did a few trips in the summers past to the North East, to Iowa, Ohio and other mid US states and never saw the temperature above 115. This past weekend I made a trip form Austin to Dallas close to 100 degrees ambient temperature, 70mph all the way, AC on and a 7PSI cap on the radiator because it leaks. Like you, I believe the timing chain is stretched(303,000+ miles). Summit copper/brass radiator, dual electric fans,... everything else is OEM including the thermostat.

I do not know for sure but it seem like something need a once over in the cooling system.

1996 XJ; 4.0L; AW4; NP231; SYE; D30 and D44; ECTED; 4.10 gears; 30X9.5 -15 BFG/AT/KO; 3" lift; Rusty's LCA; JKS ADJ UCA; Kevins ADJ Track bar; Drawtite Front Receiver; Dual Electric Fans; Dual Battaries.
Old Yesterday, 14:14
NAXJA Member

Awesome thread - great info.

I recently replaced the radiator on my 99 XJ. Money was tight so against my better judgement I went with a specta radiator from rockauto and I installed a ZJ fan clutch from napa while I was at it. The specra has two thin metal strips running from the top to the bottom on the engine side, and I wound up having to cut one of them off off to make clearance for the ZJ fan clutch since it rubbed under acceleration.

I've been doing a lot of driving in 100 degree socal weather lately with the a/c blasting and the temp is staying right around 195-200, even after idling for awhile in traffic. So far I'm very pleased with the spectra.