NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old February 9th, 2019, 11:49
NAXJA Forum User

axle swap suggestions

was just snooping under my 95 XJ. discovered it still has the Chryler 8.25 rear and Dana 30 front. So obviously this need to change.
Which axles would bolt up relatively easy?
Old February 9th, 2019, 11:52
Freakish Hand Strength

Re: axle swap suggestions

Wondering why you think they need changing ? The only "better" XJ bolt up axles are the 1997-01 29 spline 8.25 rear and the XJ tow package Dana 44 rear. The TJ Rubicon Dana 44 front axle will bolt up, but is only marginally better. Anything else "better" would require fabrication and welding, unless you order a new custom axle assembly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

Go ahead and slam the liftgate down on a blanket, and see how long you are laughing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soyjer

Tim MAY be 100% correct, but why would a person automatically pick him as the expert .....

Last edited by Tim_MN; February 23rd, 2019 at 08:19.
Old February 9th, 2019, 12:05
NAXJA Forum User

mainly concerned about that 30 not having the brass to hold up to bigger tires and engine upgrades. I prefer to match axles when I can as well
Old February 9th, 2019, 13:10
NAXJA Forum User

What do you consider tire and engine upgrades?
Old February 9th, 2019, 15:02
NAXJA Forum User

both those stock axles can be easily built to handle 35's, mine do & i run hard trails w/ lockers front & rear. just drive w/ a little respect for them, i havent broke a part in 5 yrs. wait had a flat tire once.
Old February 9th, 2019, 19:05
Jeepoholic

Nothing wrong with a d30 and 8.25. They can be built to handle 35 s. Nothing better will bolt up. If you want better you're going to need to fab and drop some cash.
Old February 13th, 2019, 11:44
NAXJA Forum User

Dana 30 is plenty good enough in a sub 4,000-pound SUV, especially if built as others have suggested. It's why they continue to manufacture them after 40+ years. Swapping the Dana 30 to say, a Dana 44 will require a lot of fab work, big bucks, or possibly both.

I've seen a Chrysler 8.25 with welded gears stand up to a small block making 500+ horsepower at the crank. In a 1/2 ton truck. On drag slicks. At the strip. So I'd say that's plenty good enough in a small SUV too, again, especially if built. A factory tow package XJ Dana 44 MIGHT be marginally stronger, but also difficult to find. If you absolutely have to have something bigger in the back end, swapping in a Ford 8.8 is a popular choice.
Old February 16th, 2019, 05:22
NAXJA Member

axle swap suggestions

Have you broke anything yet?

If not, keep beating on it. I've been locked on both ends on 33s for a couple years and have seriously beat on the rig. Axles haven't even flinched.

There's a rig that ran KOH a few weeks ago locked on 35s with stock axles. They also race the eastern rock series with the same rig and have for several years. Havent broke anything in a while. Chromo inners.

I personally found a set of waggy 44s. Dropped the coin to pick them up along with a set of 37s. Im about 20% into the swap but now I'm kinda wondering WTF I was thinking. It's a long term project but a pretty big PITA.

Upgrade your 30 inners if you're worried about it. If not, there are likely better places to put the coin in your rig.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old February 16th, 2019, 19:18
NAXJA Member

8.25 isnt a terrible axle. Run it till it dies.
If you want something better, ford 8.8 is the way to go. Its stronger than a d44, and fits with minimal work .
D30 ... well, its not a great axle, but swapping that Is more involved. I beefed mine up, when it goes I'll replace it, but to run something better, like a d44 or d60 takes some work , you need a decent amount of clearance. ,

Trail ride: 1988 XJ: Motor/plumbing/electrical: '19 ZZ6 350 sbc, 405HP/405 lb-ft; holly performer EPS, Terminator EFI, headers, novak aluminum radiator; MSD ignition
Drive train: d30 front, F8.8 rear, 4.11 gears, np242 transfer case, rusty under-armor; fully locked with detroit lockers; Chevy 700r4 tranny, 35" MT's
Old February 19th, 2019, 07:08
AKA Skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_MN View Post
Wondering why you think they need changing ? The only "better" XJ bolt up axles are the 1997-01 29 spline 8.25 rear and the XJ tow package Dana 44 rear. The TJ Rubicon Dana 44 front axle will bolt up, but only is marginally better. Anything else "better" would require fabrication and welding, unless you order a new custom axle assembly.
I never understood why people think the 8.25 and hp30 are terrible...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyyank View Post
Nothing wrong with a d30 and 8.25. They can be built to handle 35 s. Nothing better will bolt up. If you want better you're going to need to fab and drop some cash.
Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepNoob View Post
Dana 30 is plenty good enough in a sub 4,000-pound SUV, especially if built as others have suggested. It's why they continue to manufacture them after 40+ years. Swapping the Dana 30 to say, a Dana 44 will require a lot of fab work, big bucks, or possibly both.

I've seen a Chrysler 8.25 with welded gears stand up to a small block making 500+ horsepower at the crank. In a 1/2 ton truck. On drag slicks. At the strip. So I'd say that's plenty good enough in a small SUV too, again, especially if built. A factory tow package XJ Dana 44 MIGHT be marginally stronger, but also difficult to find. If you absolutely have to have something bigger in the back end, swapping in a Ford 8.8 is a popular choice.
Amen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg222 View Post
8.25 isnt a terrible axle. Run it till it dies.
If you want something better, ford 8.8 is the way to go. Its stronger than a d44, and fits with minimal work .
D30 ... well, its not a great axle, but swapping that Is more involved. I beefed mine up, when it goes I'll replace it, but to run something better, like a d44 or d60 takes some work , you need a decent amount of clearance. ,
I like my HP30, I'm running it bone stock with 4.10s and locker on 35s, she's great. Granted I'm stock HP, but none the less...
Old February 19th, 2019, 11:12
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixditchoffroad View Post
I like my HP30, I'm running it bone stock with 4.10s and locker on 35s, she's great. Granted I'm stock HP, but none the less...
So am I, 4.10's and tru trac.. it's a PITA to get a d44 or d60 up front, so if it lasts, it lasts, and if it dies, I'll replace it, I'm not going to chase the upgrade on this one.

Trail ride: 1988 XJ: Motor/plumbing/electrical: '19 ZZ6 350 sbc, 405HP/405 lb-ft; holly performer EPS, Terminator EFI, headers, novak aluminum radiator; MSD ignition
Drive train: d30 front, F8.8 rear, 4.11 gears, np242 transfer case, rusty under-armor; fully locked with detroit lockers; Chevy 700r4 tranny, 35" MT's