• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my AUSI 300mm front brake retro/ Teraflex rear disc conversion

urban yan

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Guys, I'm new to posting on NAXJA, but I've been on Jeepforum for well over a year.
I plan on moving some of my more informative posts here over the next little while because
I'm tired of the JF atmosphere (long story short: I can't deal with their moderators).

Those comments aside,here are some pics of my Brake install. I had all the parts installed
last summer. The front kit is a 12" slotted rotor with a two piston caliper. The kit came with
SS brake lines, AND I had the front rotors cryo treated (more on that later). You can get
more info on the kit at www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoFordBAdiscs1.htm. Along with the brakes,
I also had some addco F+R swaybars installed along with the brakes.

here's what the calipers looked like out-of-the-box
brake-teaser01.jpg

brake-teaser02.jpg

brake-teaser03.jpg

a look at the rotors. the teraflex rotos like similar in diameter, but they have
a much smaller contact surface compared to the front rotors. You caan also
see the front rotors are cryo- treated... one year later and the front rotors
look brand newwhile the rear teraflex rotors are rusted (the hats rusted in
the first week)
brake-teaser04.jpg

brake-teaser05.jpg

brake-teaser06.jpg

painted the teraflex calipers
brake-teaser08.jpg

brake-teaser09.jpg

brake-teaser07.jpg

I wonder if those match anything US made. Like crown vic or Explorer sport trac or Mustang.... If you can fab a bracket in AU to fit up a Ford part number then we should be able to do the same thing here without having to import the parts.... And opening the way to a junk yard swap...

I think the next time I'm at a pick and pull I'm going to yank some front calipers and rotors off some 5 on 4.5 Fords and Dodges with dual piston calipers, and bigger rotors.

the XJ/MJ/YJ/TJ world is wayf***ingoverdue for a reasonable big brake upgrade.

To my understanding, my kit uses a twin piston Ford Falcon caliper along with the matching 300mm rotors (made by PBR). The big advantage is that you can retain your stock master cylinder because the new caliper displaces the same volume of my old-stock caliper (2 smaller pistons opposed to one larger piston).

I know my brake upgrade was costly, but I can honestly say it was worth its weight in gold. I wish there were cheaper alternatives, but sadly there aren't (unless you're mechanically savvy).

Personally, I think some of the XJ/MJ/TJ guys should get together to harass powerslot to make a Power Slot Plus kit for our application. I wouldn't be as good my 2 piston set-up, but it would make for one hell of an improvement over our stock brakes.

for us guys that wheel frequently in mud/dirt will the slotted rotors hold all the drime and wear the pads?
im looking for a better highway braking with 33's and that kit seems about the same as a wj conversion perhaps a lil easier.

You could also do the Vanco brake kit, basically the same thing.. Or the WJ upgrade.. The aus kit is close to the sport trac stuff.. All you need is a little ambition and some fab skills... Nice install and realy purdy red calipers... Next time loose the sloted rotors.. they just shred your pads sooner.

redneckboarder said:
for us guys that wheel frequently in mud/dirt will the slotted rotors hold all the drime and wear the pads?
im looking for a better highway braking with 33's and that kit seems about the same as a wj conversion perhaps a lil easier.
I'm guessing slotted rotors wouldn't be the best choice for a serious off-road application, but my jeep seldom sees rough trails aside for the occasional dirt road when I go fishing. My kit is similar in size to a stock WJ set-up, but unlike the WJ set-up, my kit doesn't warp the rotors.

Clean-RC said:
You could also do the Vanco brake kit, basically the same thing.. Or the WJ upgrade.. The aus kit is close to the sport trac stuff.. All you need is a little ambition and some fab skills... Nice install and realy purdy red calipers... Next time loose the sloted rotors.. they just shred your pads sooner.
I actually like the slotted rotors. I plan on replacing my rear teraflex rotors with a set of slotted/ cryo treated rotors when I have the chance. I prefer the extra bite you get from slotted rotors... even if it comes at the price of my brake pads.

those are mustang 99-04 calipers and most likely mustang rotors. I would just really like to get my hands on some of those caliper brackets! wonder if they are sold separately?

those are mustang 99-04 calipers and most likely mustang rotors. I would just really like to get my hands on some of those caliper brackets! wonder if they are sold separately?

Eh I don't think they are exactly the same. I know the hub register is different... I have a 98 Cobra and have tried it. Urban Yan, Can you tell us the hole to hole dimension on the caliper mounts? The stang is 132mm. Also can you find the hub/rotor offset (back of rotor to back of hat)?

Last edited:

They aren't sold separately. I asked.

Eh I don't think they are exactly the same. I know the hub register is different... I have a 98 Cobra and have tried it. Urban Yan, Can you tell us the hole to hole dimension on the caliper mounts? The stang is 132mm. Also can you find the hub/rotor offset (back of rotor to back of hat)?

I have one more of these kits lying around. I'll try to get those dimensions when I get a chance.

Last month I had to get new brakes, front and rear. It ended up costing me $1200+ for parts and labor...unfortunately, I was out of the country at the time, and had I known about it, I would've just waited and upgraded my brakes to these for the money...

Ha, two years later and I am still monkeying with a adapter to use OEM SN95 mustang brakes.

That's given me an idea. I still have the stock front rotors, calipers, brackets, pads, and hoses that I took off my '95 Mustang GT as spares when I upgraded the front brakes to '98 Cobra units. Are they an easy bolt on swap? What's this adapter that you're referring to?

Back