• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternate wiper arms

Unclewolverine

NAXJA Forum User
Are there any wiper arms that will fit an xj that will stay up when you pick them up? Sure would make cleaning the windshield every morning easier.

Funny you should bring that up.
That is a project on the list for my '00 XJ.
So somebody posted on another forum I am on that TJ wiper arms to fold up and out of the way.
And fit on an XJ.
Actually found a TJ in one of the boneyards I go to.
Thinking first time I have ever seen one.
Anyway, so I grabbed them and they do fit, and if you clock them just right work with 18" and clear everything.
The thing I did not like was that when you clocked them they were higher up on the windshield when down.
I felt that they were in my field of vision and did not like it.
Thinking after awhile I would not even notice but......
Not helping that I am shorter. LOL.
What causes this is the bends in the arm that attaches to the base.
They are different between the 2.
So my really dumb idea is to see if I can drill out the "rivet" and put a XJ arm on a TJ base.
Now the rivet is not really a rivet. Kind of a pressed thing of sorts.
On top of that the base wraps around the arm underneath.
So I don't now if I do drill out the rivet if the arm will slide out.
Might have to butcher that a little too.
Then there is the problem of disconnecting and reattaching the spring.
My other dumb idea is to cut away a little where the base attaches to the spring.
Since it is so tight it stops it from letting it go all the way up. At least I think so.
So if you could just open it up a little more it might move all the way.
I explained this best I could. If I could post pictures here it would be clearer.

There is a flat (.5) 1/2 inch wide metal at the bottom of the wiper arm close to attachment point. One end of it is pointing up from the windshield. When the wiper arm is lifted up from the windshield, use a flat blade screw driver between that metal and the arm to slide that metal out from under the arm. It will move about 1/2 inch then stop. Now release the wiper arm. It will stay up.

It is strange the way Chrysler/AMC did this but it have worked for me for many years.

That mechanism is actually to release the "lock" that sits in the groove in the splined linkage shaft and keeps the wiper arm from lifting off. Using it to keep the blade off the glass is a "bonus".

The "stand-up" wipers were hardly uncommon by the time the 97+ models came around, so it is surprising that they didn't just move to that style with the refresh

That mechanism is actually to release the "lock" that sits in the groove in the splined linkage shaft and keeps the wiper arm from lifting off. Using it to keep the blade off the glass is a "bonus".

The "stand-up" wipers were hardly uncommon by the time the 97+ models came around, so it is surprising that they didn't just move to that style with the refresh

They did at least move from the pin style to j hook style arms. That is a quick cheap upgrade if you are replacing them anyway. But I'd assume they figured that the base part of the arm had worked since 84, why bother?

Great idea!

Back