NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old September 27th, 2020, 18:06
Stranger

Re: Improving e-brak on the Teraflex rear disc brake conversion kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordoeuf View Post
Just out of curiosity, why aren't e-brake drums in the front of the car as opposed to the back? Wouldn't there be better stopping power, esp. if your primary brakes fail, if it was in the front?
Can't you imagine the fun young males would have with that? It would practically be a factory line lock. Set the e-brake and light 'em up!

Now if you could just get the tire manufacturers to see their own benefits in that situation and get them to use their lobby money pushing for the safety angle (because everyone knows "safety first") one could dream of that becoming a new government mandate. But you can only dream because you know someone would point out the fun angle, and there is nothing the government hates more than people having fun.

The "Varmint-Mobile": 1997 ZJ Laredo, 4wd, 4.0L, Slushbox
Old September 28th, 2020, 09:46
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
Can't you imagine the fun young males would have with that? It would practically be a factory line lock. Set the e-brake and light 'em up!

Now if you could just get the tire manufacturers to see their own benefits in that situation and get them to use their lobby money pushing for the safety angle (because everyone knows "safety first") one could dream of that becoming a new government mandate. But you can only dream because you know someone would point out the fun angle, and there is nothing the government hates more than people having fun.
I have an Atlas transfer case, so I can make my XJ go in front wheel drive only, and burn front rubber. assuming the jeeps parking brake holds well. of course many new cars are front drive with rear park brakes.

I also have old cars, prior to the mandate of dual circuit brakes. those cars have real emergency brakes! the hand brake was the back up brake system. I dont refer to those brakes as parking brakes, as they actually were the emergency brake, and are much more effective than modern dainty little parking brakes.
Old September 28th, 2020, 15:15
NAXJA Forum User

I have a relatively heavy (for a sedan) 1979 240D diesel Mercedes Benz. It has front and rear disc brakes with a rear e-brake drum system and I can say that its e-brake can definitely be used as an effective emergency brake, even when going down steep mountain slopes. The advantage it has over most modern vehicles is that the e-brake handle is actually a ratcheting foot pedal, so it is easy to get plenty of force on the pedal. I'm not sure why the foot e-brake pedal went out of style as it seemed like the superior design.