• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 into 92 Booster swap

GI-John

NAXJA Forum User
I've been searching for a while without much luck.

My brakes suck....reeeeeaaaaallllllyyyy bad.

I want to do the 96 into 92 swap, but have a few Q's.

How many of you have done it?

The install looks fairly easy, are there any snags that you ran into?

Would you recommend that I go for the whole master cyl/booster, or would you just stick with the booster.

Last, and most importantly, would you do it again.

Please respond only if you have ACTUAL EXPERIENCE doing this. I've read plenty of posts about it, I just need a real answer

Yes I just completed this on a 89 model.........

I used the m/c and booster had to drill the rod out a little on the brake booster. as well the hard lines runnin to the portioing valve hooked right up , had to rebend the lines, (next time I would get new lines made. The major problem for me was thr brake light switch. had to get a switch from a 95 model and piece it togther with the 89 switch, not pretty but does work.

Now as for the brakes , way much better!

Todd

Put one from a 96 into my 91 - nearly bolt in, contrary to a lot of others' experiences. My stock brake light switch was fine, the length of the rod was correct, the rod hole was the right size, and I used a combination of 91 and 96 flare fittings to bolt up to my stock proportioning valve. The only real work was bending the custom lines up, which isn't that bad if you work slow and are patient. I had expected alot more trouble, but maybe I just have one of jeep's "unique" setups and got lucky. There is a really good write-up on the procedure at www.madxj.com[url] good luck.

Yeah there appears to be a difference in the brake pedals for ~1990 before & after. If you have the newer design, the brake light switch & pushrod for the m.c. literally bolts right in.

Has anybody tried to use the whole brake pedal assembly in the earlier vehicle? Seems this might save a lot of headache :)

Bump to top

Only 2 people have tried this?

I've done it on my 87.. Like stated before it's a fairly simple swap. The hardest part was the hard lines to the porp valve. Not sure about your year but the 87 M/C will NOT work with the newer booster.

Keith

Back