• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheapest winch bumper?

Czjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, got stuck again on the back side of my property.
I need to put a winch on this thing.
It's a 1999 4.0. auto.
Looking around at bumpers, i'm pretty lost. My last rig was a YJ that I build a long time ago. This is basically stock.
Lighter is better, but not paying for aluminum. Also probably needs tie ins for the uni body I'm assuming. A front recovery point/s would be about it. No need for lights, hoops, fancy anything.

forgot to mention I can't weld and don't have time to deal with that.
I'll probably be putting the cheap Smittybilt 9500 on the bumper.

Front hitch and a hitch cradle winch.... Lightest I can think of while being cheap and bolt on.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Logans metal works lists a winch bumper for $450.00 on

I have one for sale. Will do better than 400 if you happen to come to boise

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Front hitch and a hitch cradle winch.... Lightest I can think of while being cheap and bolt on.

Yep, this would be the lowest-cost solution. Hitch would double as recovery point when the cradle's not installed.

Next step up in cost would be a receiver-equipped aftermarket bumper that's properly tied into the frame, again with the cradle-mount winch. I'm running this config myself, and I'm quite happy with it. One advantage of this over just the front hitch is that I still have accessible recovery points (the d-ring tabs) even when I've got the winch installed, which opens up your options for rigging a pull...

Yep, this would be the lowest-cost solution. Hitch would double as recovery point when the cradle's not installed.

Next step up in cost would be a receiver-equipped aftermarket bumper that's properly tied into the frame, again with the cradle-mount winch. I'm running this config myself, and I'm quite happy with it. One advantage of this over just the front hitch is that I still have accessible recovery points (the d-ring tabs) even when I've got the winch installed, which opens up your options for rigging a pull...
The bolt on hitch has 2 extra places that would be for trailer chains I've used multiple times for recovery along with the receiver portion.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Might not be the cheapest:
https://www.facebook.com/Baddadfab/
I do have one of his setups ordered. I am waiting on the hidden winch mount with one of his bumpers. I want to say $900 shipped. Plus the steering brace. I mention it as it looks like the OP is in WA. So, might save some on shipping. I remember mine being $100.
I do have Logans non-winch. Looks good. I'd check shipping on anything. It can add a bunch. Also, might check out Hardcore Bumper in PA.

https://dirtboundoffroad.com/collections/jeep-cherokee-xj-84-01/bumpers

Last edited:
Dirtbound offroad looks cheap

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Be careful on how they bolt up because I have seen some that almost pulled off using the winch , they need to be heavy and strong and bolt up using all the bolts on the frame that can be used . the bumper is only as strong as the weakest part .

Yes gotta beef it up. Ripped mine off the rails pulling on a tree

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice. Is the Rusty's specifically weak, or just in general with the XJ? I wouldnt know how to beef it up.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Did you order the mounting hardware kit for the bumper?

Back