• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bumper/Receiver build and SFR shackles boxes

RCP Phx

NAXJA Forum User
I need to build a new bumper to tow with, I want to start with a DIY Dirtbound and continue from there with extreme tie-ins and additional bracing to get to a class IV rating and finally a tire carrier. I got started this weekend yanking the bumper and gas tank skid off, along with drilling out all the rivets for the bumperettes and nut strips. I knew I had some old damage behind the bumperettes. Then I cut out the frame-rail holes, they will take 2"x4" tubing up to the filler neck. I bought the SFR boxes thinking the weld nut from the shackles actually passed into the frame rail! They don't, the next is the depth/height of the fuel filler hoses.
P1080889.JPG

P1080890.JPG

P1080891.JPG

P1080892.JPG

P1080893.JPG

I'm deigning all this based on the Mohave cut-n-fold bumper I put on Lil Sis, if Dirtbound should happen to re-release it it would be great otherwise I'll just make my self.

Have you looked into using one of the premade diy bumper brackets that act as a nutstrip and bolts to the 4 original mounting holes? Dirtbound has a set and I've seen other styles on ebay. Not sure how it would line up with the mojave diy kit though.

Have you looked into using one of the premade diy bumper brackets that act as a nutstrip and bolts to the 4 original mounting holes? Dirtbound has a set and I've seen other styles on ebay. Not sure how it would line up with the mojave diy kit though.

It's the same set as used in the diy kit, I just need a lot more.

So yesterday I ordered a stick of 2"x4"x.188" rectangular tubing.
A stick of 1-1/2"x2" x.188" rectangular tubing.
A stick of 1-1/2"x1-1/2"x.188" square tube.
A sheet of 1/8" chromoly plate.
A short section of 2" .250" wall DOM tubing.

This morning I ordered up a new Hypertherm 45XP that will easily cut 5/8"!

I forgot to add that my Ruffstuff spare tire spindle set will be here tomorrow and the Stinky Fab shackle boxes will be here Friday!

Ohhh you dirty dog, 45xp. what is driving air to it.

I've been digging around and saw theres some bumper kits on ebay that look very similar to the dirtbound. Theyre unbranded free shipping and cost 140 bucks.

I have lots of burn time on a 45xp. Youl love the machine if you have enough air.

Air isn't a issue, my garage is hard piped with 8 1/2" drops fed from a 3/4" trunk line that's fed from a 2 gallon dryer that's fed from my 80 gallon vertical compressor!

I received my chromoly plate today along with my SFR shackle boxes. Man those things are huge, I guess I never thought about it much but their pics didn't appear like that!

The 45 won't run when psi drops below 90psi. Wich i think is 6cfm plus to sustain that. Or a huje tank.

Is it a a 240 compressor.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

yes it's 240v.

My plasma cutter arrived today so I got a little chance to play around with it. It kicks ass, it will make my bumper project go a lot faster.

In order for anything to sit against the bottom of the inside of the unibody rail, there are a few issues.

- On both rails, the fourth hole has a raised perimeter that protrudes into the interior of the rail? I was thinking of grinding the hole larger to remove the lip. What are you considering?
- On the right unibody rail, there is a chunk of metal spanning across the bottom of the rail on the inside after the fourth hole. How are you going to deal with that? It doesn't seem like it will come out easily.
- On the left unibody rail, the screws debris shield for for the gas tank filler and vent protrude into the unibody. How are you going to deal with that?

All true but it only took minutes to fix all that:
1 - die grinder with a burr bit
2 - drill out 2 spot welds
3 - remove screws replace with threaded screws

I've got everything together so it's time to get busy and cut some steel!
P1080894.JPG

Where are the spot welds holding that chunk of metal in place? Can you upload a photo?

I'm also interested in this. I'm glad you're in the middle of this because I also am looking to do a bumper build similar to what you're describing. I'll be following. :thumbup:

All true but it only took minutes to fix all that:
1 - die grinder with a burr bit
? 2 - drill out 2 spot welds
3 - remove screws replace with threaded screws

Like most things in life it didn't go exactly as planned. After complete look at what I was really dealing with it turned out a lot easier to make a couple of small "incisions" with the plasma cutter. It was actually a couple of fillet welds on opposite corners. I still have no idea what it's intended purpose for being there would be.
P1080895.JPG

Back