• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I think my steering geometry may be wonky... Help me sort it out!

My main complaint is the large dead spot in the steering. If I could fix that then I can deal with the light steering feel

... toe change is tied to the drag link is this configuration, not track bar, and will be negligible in normal driving conditions.

ct2GTD9.png

Yes, from the drag link which is pretty steep.

I have seen very few drop pitman arms that are needed, but your missing the point. The factory set-ups (XJ/ZJ) are no good at that lift height even more so on a street driven rig.

I guess there will always be varied opinions. I'm happy with the drop pitman arm and drop track bar mounting bracket on my XJ. Drives great on the street. 100% steady cruising 80 mph down I-5 yesterday, and handles twisty mountain roads as well as can be expected for a 4.5" lifted Jeep.

Yes, from the drag link which is pretty steep.

I guess there will always be varied opinions. I'm happy with the drop pitman arm and drop track bar mounting bracket on my XJ. Drives great on the street. 100% steady cruising 80 mph down I-5 yesterday, and handles twisty mountain roads as well as can be expected for a 4.5" lifted Jeep.
i read track bar, not drag link for some reason. sorry about that.

as someone who did everything super cheap in college then axle swapped fully built axles later on, i am of a different school of thought... spending $1k on steering and suspension components is nice if you got cash burning a hole in your pocket, but not needed for someone just getting into a cherokee. spending a ton of money right away is a great way to get buyers remorse very quickly.

the stock drag link and a ZJ tie rod are more than enough for light duty use and street driving. a quality track bar using the factory axle side location is fine for any reasonable lift and stock pitman arm. you can definitely do everything in your driveway with some simple hand tools and time, and i recommend learning to do so. but the reason i recommend an alignment shop is that they can help you identify any worn components that need replacing rather than the internet telling you that you need this or that because their use has dictated such.

BEFORE recommending parts, your usage and expectations for the vehicle would be very helpful.

Stock drag link with ZJ tie rod survived the Rubicon without issues.

Back