NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old July 3rd, 2019, 09:50
NAXJA Forum User

Re: It's been discussed a millions time so what's a million and 1 more

Every time I have the radiator out of the car, I take a garden hose and blast the AC condenser clean from the rear (engine compartment side). Then blast it from the front.
Repeat a few times. It's always good for lowering the engine temp a few degrees.
Old July 3rd, 2019, 20:19
NAXJA Forum User

Boiling with a 50/50 mix is 223*. See what I'm saying now? The factory runs them too hot for emissions reasons, run a cooler thermostat and put your efan on a switch , I used my rear wiper switch( deleted the rear wiper) Ran today in 93* with the AC on in 70% humidity. Ice cold AC inside, max operating temp was 210 or less in stock trim( stock fans, stock shrouds, 50/50 mix, newer stock radiador, Not close to overheating, but too hot for me. I have a new 180 stat, gasket, housing, sensor, and s-blade efan to replace the stock clutch fan coming, and I'll do a write up on it.
Old July 3rd, 2019, 20:22
NAXJA Forum User

Running too hot is as bad as not changing your oil often enough in my opinion
Old July 3rd, 2019, 23:28
NAXJA Forum User

[QUOTE=MichXJdad;246653884]Boiling with a 50/50 mix is 223*. /QUOTE]

That's unpressurized. Assuming your radiator cap is working, the boiling point for 50/50 is 267*F at 15 psi
Old July 4th, 2019, 06:28
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepercreeper01 View Post
The efan comes on at 210 as well as when I turn on the Ac. All of this was replaced with new parts when the new motor was dropped in. Even though am not using the heater during this time of year. Would a plugged heater core cause this?
Interesting that you say your efan comes on with the AC compressor on a 2001 — it shouldn’t

A plugged heater core certainly won’t help — you could bypass the heater core by just connecting the hoses with some copper pipe and a couple of elbows

Have you tried flushing the heater core?
Old July 4th, 2019, 11:10
NAXJA Forum User

OP, I've been here for 57 yrs and have had very few issues with temp unless something is wrong. A lot of those "so called" hi-flow water pumps are just that. The heater core is part of the cooling system as the later models flow all the time so that could be a problem. Buying or making a ported/freeflow thermostat housing is a good idea.

When I built my stroker I had B+G custom tune my PCM and had them set the E-fan temp for 200*.
Old July 4th, 2019, 17:43
NAXJA Forum User

Digging around a little it appears you can possibly get the pcm reprogrammed at a dealer for the Efan to come on with the AC on 2000-01's, and possibly at no charge. No guarantee on the freebie part. Almost sound like there may be a TSB on this.
Old July 8th, 2019, 17:05
NAXJA Forum User

Two things to also think about, the AW4 with an inline-six has a suggested operating range of between 125-176 degrees. Most other Jeep autos (727, th400, 42rle) need to run between 150-200 degrees. And non synthetic, conventional motor oil starts to break down at temps over 230. So when your driving your XJ around in extreme heat coolant temp shouldn't be your only concern.
Old July 11th, 2019, 19:01
NAXJA Forum User

Ok. I think I'm going to buy a new heater core and replace this fall. In the mean time I'm going to bypass the hoses. Sounds like this could help not only with the cooling issue but to help determine if it is in fact the core itself. Since all have the dash ripped out might as well replace the evap as well.
If all else fails I'm going to run without a t-stat. Ireally though replacing all the cooling components and motor would have fixed this. Forgot to mention that I also added hood vents too.
This is so damn frustrating. Thanks for all your help and really useful knowledge!
Old July 12th, 2019, 07:51
NAXJA Member

It's pretty easy to set up and flush the heater core -- Use a harbor freight 12 volt pump and a bucket of hot water with your radiator flush chemical of choice -- rig up some hoses and pump the cleaner thru -- be sure to swap directions and run it backwards too -- you wont believe the crap that will come out