• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dead starter? got the click-click-click problem

mr.vic

NAXJA Forum User
i recently had some work done to my jeep, lift install and replaced teh gas tank. they re used the original fuel pump. once i got my jeep back the fuel pump was very noisy, i figured it was not going to last for long.. well the next day it died all right :tears: i was driving fairly low speed about 10-20 miles and then pulled the jeep over. tried to start it and it makes a loud click-click-click sound like the starter is not engaging or solenoid is dead..

i replaced the fuel pump today and confirmed that is working as it should.. but the starter or click-click-clikc noises are still hapening.. i dont think it would be the CPS but dunno.. i just dropped $1400 in the last week and am getting fustrated with the jeep.. i just want to drive the f*cker

a buddy is going to bring over a spare starter and swap it over so hopefully that fixes it... but any other ideas thoughts on what the problem might be?.. oh it is a 93 XJ with the 4.0 and aw4

may thanks!

If battery is fully charged, you can TAP the starter with a hammer.. I have the wife turn the key when i TAP the starter..... Just don't hit the wires.. Don't beat it hard, justTAP it.... Also check your wires, make sure their clean

If not the starter try the ballist resistor.

driver side next to airbox it has 2 wires going into it and its bolted onto the frender

If it's not cranking the engine, it's not the ballast resistor. If it's clicking when you turn the key, then I'd suspect a bad starter or solenoid. If nothing happens when you turn the key, the check the NSS if it's an auto.

When i've had a bad solenoid in the past it was never a click click click. That clicking is the solenoid. If you turn the key and get nothing with a known charged battery, then you may have a stuck solenoid.

If that is the case then recharge the battery and jump the solenoid.

I haven't had to do this for years, but on my old '90 I would turn the key on. climb under the engine and use a screwdriver to arc the two exposed electrical connections. If the problem is the solenoid this will instantly turn the engine over so keep you and your clothing away from the serpentine belt, etc. It is a bit unnerving but will diagnose the solenoid. Simply tapping on it will not always work.

if the solenoid is "stuck"-- jumping the terminals won't do anything more than turning the key. The solenoid is the smaller part of the starter that the terminals are attached to and jumping the terminals is only replicating what you're trying to do when you turn the key-- sending electricity to the smaller terminal so it can activate the electromagnet inside and close the circuit for the larger terminal to power the starter.

I believe you mean that if the starter relay is bad you can jump the solenoid and cause it to turn over-- semantics, I know, but you cannot jump the terminals on a bad/stuck solenoid and make it function:looney:

kennzz05 said:
i think he meant jump as in bypass the solenoid because he speaks of doing it at the starter

the solenoid is on the starter-- you're not bypassing it if you do what he said, you're bypassing the starter RELAY:peace:

thanks for the help guys.. a dead battery was the main cause here. the starter is working OK. i put in a new optima red top battery and it fired up fairly easily after finishing the fuel pump install.

now i am having a different problem getting the jeep to start..i think it is the CPS.. reason i think that is the jeep will crank over and continue to crank and try to start..after trying to crank it over about 4 times it just fires up.. maybe its not the CPS but at this point it is getting fustrating.. i just had a 3.5" lift installed and cant get the jeep going long enough to go for a wheeling trip..

is probably your starter relay part #sr14 sorenson gp brand may be a little diferent at other part stores or brands but will still look up the same. the relay is malfunctioning and will eventually not work at all now you can replace it or use a ford solinoid in its place. Its a little confusing to do but worth it.

Glad to hear it was your battery... Try an drive it for awhile without turning off the motor.. Just around town, see if that resets the computer in it.....

mr.vic said:
now i am having a different problem getting the jeep to start..i think it is the CPS.. reason i think that is the jeep will crank over and continue to crank and try to start..after trying to crank it over about 4 times it just fires up.. maybe its not the CPS but at this point it is getting fustrating.. i just had a 3.5" lift installed and cant get the jeep going long enough to go for a wheeling trip..

just a thought but also check for spark and fuel pressure at the rail. It could also be your injectors although I suspect that it would throw a code for either the cps or injectors, probably something like a cylender(sp?) misfire. It's always spark, fuel or air. usually one or both of the first two.

When you say it just fires up after 4 times cranking, do you mean that the engine turns over and runs, turns over and sputters? How long will it run before stopping? does it run rough when/if it does turn over?

From the information that I've seen sofar it sounds like a spark problem (just a guess) Depending on year and milage on rotor/cap/plugs/coil a tune up might be in order. Best of luck :peace:

If anyone ever has this issue please check the BATTERY CABLE. We were stuck in Utah and Southern California this December with this issue. Finally diagnosed it.

Replacing the starter will move the wires and make it work for a while, but then it will go bad again.

Shorty said:
if the solenoid is "stuck"-- jumping the terminals won't do anything more than turning the key. The solenoid is the smaller part of the starter that the terminals are attached to and jumping the terminals is only replicating what you're trying to do when you turn the key-- sending electricity to the smaller terminal so it can activate the electromagnet inside and close the circuit for the larger terminal to power the starter.

I believe you mean that if the starter relay is bad you can jump the solenoid and cause it to turn over-- semantics, I know, but you cannot jump the terminals on a bad/stuck solenoid and make it function:looney:

kennzz05 said:
i think he meant jump as in bypass the solenoid because he speaks of doing it at the starter

Yup, I was over-simplifying things and "stuck" was the wrong word.
Man, i'm glad I haven't had to that lately!

Jeep on

do you have those lame lead terminals? ive had problems with them in the past. ended up cutting them off and replacing them with a set from advance auto. im actually able to tighten the terminals now. helped starting quicker. i think an under powering a starter may make it wear out sooner.

Back