• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Skwerly's '78 Ramcharger 440: Slow Build

Skwerly

NAXJA Forum User
Here is my 1978 Ramcharger. It has a 440 and some other goodies, and a whole lot of project to it. :p

The good:

Already lifted. Guy says it’s a 4” but it sits 56” high at the hood and looks like it could eat 38s without much trouble. My guess is 6”, but I’m no expert on these--yet.

440. I don’t need to say much more there. Seems to run strong.

The rear gate and hatch work well.

Full cage that actually looks decent.

New Mopar ignition. Brand new, in fact.

Birdbath hood--undecided on this. They look cool and mean as heck, but really, Mopar? Standing water on the hood? I can think of better ideas... :D

203 case, which is my favorite case in the whole world. I freaking love fulltime four-wheel drive.

I haven’t had the chance to look too much closer, but I’m sure there’s more good. Oh, it already has a nice drop hitch, too, which will come in handy. And a winch bumper--anyone wanna buy it? I just want a stock job on there, I do believe. Make me an offer--I’m in southern CA.

The bad:

I have no clue whatsoever if this thing will smog. My best guess is not a chance. That’ll be fun.

No factory gauges or dash panel. It has a 3-gauge setup mounted below with oil, temp, and volts, though, which is good for now. Like I said, project. :D

Guy says it has some bumpsteer, which I’m thinking is the result of a 6” lift with no dropped pitman and all that but again, I could be wrong there. I haven’t looked at the leaves.

The top has cancer near where it mounts to the body. I’m sure these are notorious for that, and I’m going to have to address the issue ASAP. My buddy does some decent body work, so I may just buy him beer and have him help me.

The interior is the ugliest thing in the world. The seats are ugly, there’s no carpet, etcetera. I’m going to totally revamp it over the course if ownership.

The dude smashed up the driver door real bad, so I have to source one of those ASAP, too.

I’m sure there’s more bad, but that’s all I can see/think of right now. I’ve only owned it for about an hour. :D

Because money is slow for me at the moment, this is going to be a slow build. I’m not going to go crazy with a frame-off or anything, but it’s going to look and operate 500% better by the time I’m done.

Wish me luck!

WOOT!

Pictures below.

A friend of mine had a nice one. That ****er did work off road. That 440 in his tore shit up. We always had a good time whenever we took it out. The thing I like about them is that they are not as big as say a k5 or full-size truck. They are more mid sized like a scout. The top being removable is always a plus too. Smog isn't that bad. Give it a tuneup and see what it does.

Not sure what I’m doing with Jeep. Haven’t decided.

I took this thing around the block and it’s definitely a beast. It wanders, it’s loud, and the gas pedal is hard to push down.

I can’t wait to work on it. :D

Tell you what, I'll give you all the money in my pocket right now for your T-Case. Lets start getting you money to start your new build

start growing your chops and mullet! maybe they'll be ready by the time you're done with the truck. :D

Back