• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need to borrow a big charger in OC area

Are you looking for something that will safely handle an AGM like the Diehard or Odyssey?

Wish I had one to lend you.

Just take them to your local carquest or o'reilly and ask them to put them on their trickle charger. Should be FOC.

Im supposed to do
If it was me I'd do a recovery/reconditioning on it, which requires you do a deep discharge as a starting point. On a 12V AGM you would discharge to about 10.0V anyway and rebuild from there.

The main thing is you'd need a very substantial charger to do this. That little 4 amp Genius isn't going to cut it. Typically you want to be able to sustain no less than 40% of the battery's 10-hour capacity, which in your case would be something along the lines of 35A (the MC-31 has a 100A C20 rating, the C10 will likely be slightly lower), and can achieve 14.7V.

If you're trying to bring back dead agm batteries, I've had good luck running high current briefly fI'll owed by long intervals of low current.

Like 15 minutes at 40 amps, followed by 24 hours of 2 amps. And repeat that for a week.

If it doesn't come back it's just too far gone.

FYI sometimes it also helps to grab some jumper cables and wire a good battery in parallel. I've had mixed results trying to resurrect dead AGM batteries but each one I've tried has been pretty well abused.

FYI sometimes it also helps to grab some jumper cables and wire a good battery in parallel.
That's a good method for charging an AGM without a charger set up to specifically handle them. It keeps the voltage from being to high.

lmao....always a cheap bastard.

be careful with recondition mode.....I am finding many batteries that can't handle the output voltage (around 15.5V) that recharge mode puts out.....specifically AGMs and lots of lead acid batteries.

cheap is relative ;) Just bought a "desulfying" charger to see if that's the ticket. It's supposed to handle AGM batteries. The charger I bought last year turns out that it does not have that mode.... and I called the manufacturer before buying and asked specific questions.......

Anyways, the battery is a year old and it looks like it might have life in it.... might end up being a secondary on a (by design) one battery trailer ;)

What battery is it?

Most AGMs cannot handle the high voltage desulfating uses.

Back