• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Calico Night Run Saturday Oct. 22, 2016

Re: Calico Night Run Saturday Oct. 22

LCA (dropped 4") brackets with skids.

Do the (3) pictures actually show up? They are hosted on PB so I may just be seeing temp files already on my device.

I'm putting a piece of 1" x 3/16 wall tube over the lower edge of the (3/16") rear brace in the hopes that it helps slide off of things. It flushes up with the bottom of the LCA bracket.

The brackets can accommodate the OEM adjustment hardware. All I have to do is drill out the existing (1/8") pilot holes. After that just merge the two holes. It's a compromise between me and a friend's thoughts.

Pics are showing here, for now.

Think you will have this thing back together for a re-match this coming October?

When are you doing a production run?? :roflmao:
As soon as the 16 gauge aluminum and the pop rivits.get here.

Pictures not showing here now.

:soapbox:

Straightened and stiffened my trusty TC skid before it goes back on. I've been trying to stay focused but I don't possess the mental capacity to do so.

mClZYEnh.jpg

Rear supports fitted and waiting:

2GlR0Kqh.jpg

You can't really tell in these pics but the rear support ties into the dropped bracket at an angle in order to mount parallel with the frame rail.

qD2A7vvh.jpg

Well the insurance guy is here, time to stop playing on the internet.
:roflmao:

"Well, it just goes to show you, it's always something — if it ain't one thing, it's another."

I see how this works: Now that you have house problems that need attention the XJ is finally getting some love.

I must admit I'm jealous of the design...it's going the a cold night at calico before those fail...wait?? That's not what I meant.

I see how this works: Now that you have house problems that need attention the XJ is finally getting some love.

Still trying to get my head around the project. Then figure out what the boss wants to do what where. I'll farm out some and do some myself.

John X said:
I must admit I'm jealous of the design...it's going the a cold night at calico before those fail...wait?? That's not what I meant.

Thanks. They just seem so freak'n big. I have to remind myself that they are taking the place of two brackets stacked one on top of the other.

I'm finally to the point of installing the brackets. I'll tack them in, resisting the urge to burn them in all the way before pinning the arms in place and make sure it will dial in. Still procrastinating on the RMS and pan gasket. Spose i ought to check the valve cover first off.

Where they go:

EQ4805ih.jpg

Making things idiot proof:

dArEEvwh.jpg

Defying gravity:

SoLT7qMh.jpg

A little overhead testing with a mock-up and the welder:

pyY91TVh.jpg

I try not to think about how long this is taken. :tears:

All I know is I'd damn well be ready by Oct. :roflmao:

Let me know if this is going to happen. We would love to join you. Hotel or Camping. Just make sure I can get my motorhome to the camp site. LOL. It's only 2 wheel drive

All I know is I'd damn well be ready by Oct. :roflmao:

Figure it has taken you 10 months to get this far, and you have 2 months to go.

I bet stores are already running "Back to School" sales.

:rattle:

Woo-hoo, finally getting somewhere!

Tacked up...

T30mqDTh.jpg

...left and right.

P2W9OHeh.jpg

AND:

sfZpY0Ph.jpg

The control arms are still at an estimated length. I need to lower the rig onto the coils and check camber and forward/aft location.

Once I'm sure things will dial in I'll pull them back off, burn the brackets in and add the inside gusset and get some new bushings for the lowers. I know, I know but I can't remember off hand where I get bushings.

Figure it has taken you 10 months to get this far, and you have 2 months to go.

It's people like you that are people like you!
:cheers:

I just need a new set of excuses.

What do you know, meanwhile on another front there is the whole flooding thing:

8KWEwbjh.jpg

Cut up 16" I've got about 7 or 8 sheets worth of drywall to hang, tape and float to get this project off the ground. Sure glad I added the insurance writer covering this mess. Dodged that bullet.

Looks like good progress on the XJ.

I am trying to imagine the fun The Varmints could have with a house where the bottom 16" of drywall is missing. Looks like something they would get in trouble with.

Re: Calico Night Run Aftermath & Rebuild

Not going for that huh?
:nono:
Too many checks and double checks of the initial measurements, layout, templates, and alignment tabs.

This ought to improve the ride a bit:

2soCNW2h.jpg

Now that it's actually sitting on the suspension the CA angles don't look too bad, especially for ~7.5" of lift. Off the cuff I'd venture to say that the knuckles need rotated back a couple of degrees. Another indicator is that the pinion yoke is sitting about 3/8" higher that it normally does with a proper front end alignment. I'm also going to need to watch the driveshaft length. As it sits right now I have about 5/8" or less left before it bottoms out.

Either which way I'm a cappy hamper.
:woohoo:

Last edited:
I thought this was the new train wreck thread. :cheers:

Back