• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Air bag sensors

turdles said:
1) Where are the airbag sensors?
2) When i install my custom front bumper will it make it so that my air bags don't work?

They should be in the core support or underneath.
I know though... my wrangler didn't have them. Just a computer in the rig that when jolted at the proper MPH, would cause the bags to go off. You should have no problem with a customer bumper.

the "sensor" is up in the steering column, it's based on decelleration, not crush as was the case with early sensors on cars.

the only way a custom bumper would effect the airbag would be by transferring more of the force of a wreck into the body/frame, but really, it's going to take a lot of force to cause the bags to deploy, and custom bumper or not, you rig's going to be FUBAR either way if that ever happens.

Depends on the year, the 97 and 98 had the controller under the drivers seat then they had a recall that moved my 98's from under the seat to under the center console to prevent water damage or something.

RichP said:
Depends on the year, the 97 and 98 had the controller under the drivers seat then they had a recall that moved my 98's from under the seat to under the center console to prevent water damage or something.

Oh so thats what that thing was. I just bedlined my interior and I was a bit confused by that bracket under my seat, thanks.

Back