• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP242J questions

Wallyman

NAXJA Forum User
I finally got to lookign closer at my under-jeep setup.
ive never had the selec trac set up and i noticed the transfer case mounts directly to the trans case....last one i had, it wasnt so. My question is this, so they share fluids?...... Thanks and long live "full time"

No, they do not.

What you referred to otherwise is known as a "divorced" mount - actually, mounting the transfer case to the transmission is fairly common.

Advantage? It allows for shallower angles through the Cardan joints.

But no, there is a seal in the transmission that rides on the transfer case input to keep transmission fluid in the transmission, and there is also a seal in the transfer case (about a half-inch from the transmission seal) that keeps fluid in the transfer case.

N.B. - do not use ATF +3/+4 in the AW4! If you have the four-speed automatic (shift bezel - P-R-N-D-3-1/2,) it is not a Chrysler transmission, and does not use Chrysler fluid. It uses Dexron II/III.

The transfer case doesn't care - it's just there to lubricate the geartrain, not to bathe clutches. You can use either Dexron or +ATF in it, but I stick to Dexron (since I have to have it for the AW4s...)

Muchos gracias,...
I understand the ATF situation....My second AW4.. i love this tranny. Nothing about Jeeps i like better than reliability....I went to purchase ATF and its now called ATF D/M i thought, ...D/M? well its Mercon/ Dexron III , just listed backwards and shortened...at least at Auto Zone....thanks for the info...

Tech Specs, as I've been able to accumulate them so far, are on my site in the Tech Archive section. I add specs as I accumulate FSMs - my coverage is still spotty, but currently runs (with holes!) from 1960 to 2001. Not all years, not all models - I'm working on that.

However, anything I've posted there is directly from Factory literature - I don't post anything else.

Back