• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

URGENT: brake pedal/brake light electrical

BrettM

NAXJA Forum User
I am supposed to leave for the Rubicon in 11.5 hours, someone please help me figure this out, I'm about to dig into a bunch of wiring diagrams, but am posting here first.

1988 MJ, 4.0, manual tranny (as far as the vehicle electronics are concerned).

I am not getting any voltage to the wire at the taillight, and therefore no brakelights. I checked the switch on the brake pedal and it is working properly. The switch has 2 wires to it, one blue w/ black stripe and one solid pink, neither shows any voltage.

My guess is that one should be 12vdc+ hot, but I'm not sure and am not sure which. Anyone?

I can't find the brake pedal switch in a brief look at the electrical schematics I have...

Further checking with the multi-meter reveals that the blue wire on the pedal switch is connected straight through to the brake wire at the rear. My assumption is then that the pink wire should be hot with 12v. The pink wire goes within a few inches into a big bundle of wrapped wires and I can't determine where it goes from there. I could bring 12v manually to the pink for a temporary fix, but I would like to know where that pink wire goes and to find the real problem.

The pink wire is the hot lead and comes from a 15amp fuse in the fuse box labeled HAZ/Stop If there is no power on at least one side of the fuse, then the power to the fuse comes from a fusable link by the battery. The FSM calls it link E, for what that is worth.

The power actually leaves the fuse and heads over to the hazard flasher before going to the pedal switch.

old_man said:
The pink wire is the hot lead and comes from a 15amp fuse in the fuse box labeled HAZ/Stop If there is no power on at least one side of the fuse, then the power to the fuse comes from a fusable link by the battery. The FSM calls it link E, for what that is worth.

The power actually leaves the fuse and heads over to the hazard flasher before going to the pedal switch.
hah! thank you very much, back out to the driveway....

okay, simple blown fuse. problem solved :laugh3:

With Murphy's law and the fact that I'm supposed to go to the Rubicon tomorrow, it didn't even occur to me that it could be something that simple :wierd: I've been rewiring the tail-lights on my tube-bed and figured I probably caused a real problem.

Rubicon here I come :D

Have fun. I'll be wrenching this weekend. I'm doing a complete body swap. I've wheeled my rig so hard that the unibody is like a limp noodle. I twisted it up enough at Moab to break the windshield without touching it.

Back