• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Show of hands, who added longer studs on ZJ disc upgrade for an 8.25?

FleXJ96

NAXJA Forum User
Some tell me it was fine for them, some say the XJ studs were unusable after passing through the caliper backing plate and rotor. So... :NAXJA: folks, what's the head count either way?

Do you NEED them or not? Depends on your wheels I guess, but it's so easy and cheap to do there's no reason not to do it right. When I did disc brakes on my 8.25 I used a 96 ZJ as the donor. While I was pulling the brakes I took the good studs from the axles and I also took the backing plate mounting studs. Here's what they look like:

DSCN3626.jpg

You can see there's quite a difference in length. I bought a few wheel studs at Napa while I was getting some other stuff because some of the donor ZJ studs were damaged. They're like a buck or two each.

Installed the crown kit (not sure if ZJ or KJ parts). Instructions said longer studs for some aftermarket wheels. I have factory 16's (moabs?), but I put in longer studs. It isn't hard and they are not expensive. You don't need a press, just a BFH to knock out the old ones and a lug nut + 5 washers to suck through the new one.

Installed the crown kit (not sure if ZJ or KJ parts). Instructions said longer studs for some aftermarket wheels. I have factory 16's (moabs?), but I put in longer studs. It isn't hard and they are not expensive. You don't need a press, just a BFH to knock out the old ones and a lug nut + 5 washers to suck through the new one.

probably not moabs if they were factory 16s on an XJ.

i wouldnt recommend the BFH either... or rather, would advise caution with one. ive done it a few times admittedly. but if a few good taps doesnt move it, dont just start wailing on it. you can bend the entire flange. (is that the right terminology?)

I got them from the donor. Both types of studs. Put a nut on the end of the threads and one whack with a hammer.
To install, use antisieze on the splines and pull them in with the nuts.

just a word of caution, it sounds like some of you are re-using studs. do NOT do this. the knurled part of the stud is meant to compress one time only to fit tightly into the mounting surface, once it's been crushed it that's it.

maybe it worked for you, i'm sure i'll get a bunch of "you're full of shit i did it and its fine" type of posts...but i'll tell you right now it's a MAJOR pain in the ass to remove a wheel when the stud just spins in the hole ;)

I used stock front wheel studs for my same model year, but the ones for an 01 xj D30 are a little longer for those that need it. I definitely used zj studs for the backing plate to axle housing.

Back