• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

getting rid of the fuse box bulkhead connector on a 89xj

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
I'll put this in Mod tech(already have a different thread related to this in oem tech)

First of all:Why,why,why did chrysler use such a crappy firewall connector on these renix jeeps???

As the title says I'm looking at options to the trouble prone firewall bulkhead connector for the fuse box......

I get sick to my stomach when I think about all the work that would be involved in cutting,heat shrinking,and soldering all those wires together.....but I am starting to think I dont have a choice because there is alot of corrosion built up in the male and female(engine side and interior side)connectors causing lights to flicker and fuses to get hot.

Who has done away with this devil possesed firewall connector on their renix?
Where is 5-90 the resident renix wiring guru?Bet he has some good input on this....

Another person that might be good to ask is BlueXJ over at cherokeeforum.
One thing you could do is maybe make your own connector/s. I know it would be a PITA, but less worry about soemthing messing up.

Just for clarification:This connector is not responsible for engine management or sensor operation is it?Its just for interior lights,gauges,ignition switch,fuel pump,brake/tail/headlight gauge light ,radio ect,ect???

Are you referring to the one above the brake booster with the single bolt holding the two halves together? If so, there are important wires running through it, like CPS for one. BTW, Jeep designed this connector, the C101, and Chrysler eliminated it in later years. My 88 has it and my 90 doesn't.

The one that is to the right(standing in front of vehicle)booster and below the clutch mc.....same one?
So does my 89 have the c101 connector then?I'm confused....

Back