• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'99 XJ roof rack and/or cross bar removal procedures

soyjer

NAXJA Forum User
I have been unable to find detailed descriptions/pictures of how to remove the roof rack and/or cross bars from a later model XJ, so I am providing this info here:

NOTES:
REGARDING REMOVING END CAPS: The plastic "tabs" and "door panel fasteners" holding end caps on are nearly impossible to not break during their removal...but they are not required, because the front 25mm Torx rail screws retain the caps. Nevertheless, I chose to remove the FRONT end caps (instead of the rear end caps) because that way wind resistance would tend to keep the caps on rather than pull them off.
REGARDING RE-INSTALLING RAILS: Use Loctite Threadlocker Blue 242 or equivalent on 25mm Torx rail screws.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

These procedures work for a '99 XJ (see pictures to see if yours matches):

To ONLY remove CROSS BARS: Use a 25mm Torx driver to remove rail screws from ONE rail, then use a Phillips screwdriver to remove the 4 Phillips screws holding the cross bars to the slides, then pull the loose rail outward to release the cross bars.

To remove the ENTIRE RACK: Use a 25mm Torx driver to remove rail screws from both rails (then optionally use a Phillips screwdriver to remove the 4 Phillips screws holding the cross bars to the slides), then remove entire rack.

To remove one or both SLIDES from a rail, follow this procedure:

Use a 25mm Torx driver to remove rail screws from the rail (rearward screws can be merely loosened, if desired), then prop up the front end of the rail a few inches to gain access to the underside of the front end cap:

A6a0K1

Use a <1/8" wide wide slotted screwdriver to push plastic tab that holds cap in place out of the way (it's OK if it breaks off):

E344CV

Use a door panel fastener removal tool/fork/forceps to remove plastic fastener that holds cap in place (it's OK if it breaks):

Afv47w

75XE26

Optionally use a Phillips screwdriver to remove the Phillips screw holding the cross bar to the slide, then push the slide button and pull the slide off of the rail:

69h527

Hmmm...I tried submitting the pictures in this post using the "Insert Image" button, and it seemed to correctly bracket them with the
brackets when previewed, but then when I posted, the URL's were omitted from the post...I'll try just submitting the URL's this time:

I have been unable to find detailed descriptions/pictures of how to remove the roof rack and/or cross bars from a later model XJ, so I am providing this info here:

NOTES:
REGARDING REMOVING END CAPS: The plastic "tabs" and "door panel fasteners" holding end caps on are nearly impossible to not break during their removal...but they are not required, because the front 25mm Torx rail screws retain the caps. Nevertheless, I chose to remove the FRONT end caps (instead of the rear end caps) because that way wind resistance would tend to keep the caps on rather than pull them off.
REGARDING RE-INSTALLING RAILS: Use Loctite Threadlocker Blue 242 or equivalent on 25mm Torx rail screws.

To ONLY remove CROSS BARS: Use a 25mm Torx driver to remove rail screws from ONE rail, then use a Phillips screwdriver to remove the 4 Phillips screws holding the cross bars to the slides, then pull the loose rail outward to release the cross bars.

To remove the ENTIRE RACK: Use a 25mm Torx driver to remove rail screws from both rails (then optionally use a Phillips screwdriver to remove the 4 Phillips screws holding the cross bars to the slides), then remove entire rack.

Use a 25mm Torx driver to remove rail screws from the rail (rearward screws can be merely loosened, if desired), then prop up the front end of the rail a few inches to gain access to the underside of the front end cap:

A6a0K1

Use a <1/8" wide wide slotted screwdriver to push plastic tab that holds cap in place out of the way (it's OK if it breaks off):

https://www.flickr.com/gp/184730436@N05/E344CV

Use a door panel fastener removal tool/fork/forceps to remove plastic fastener that holds cap in place (it's OK if it breaks):

https://www.flickr.com/gp/184730436@N05/Afv47w

https://www.flickr.com/gp/184730436@N05/75XE26

Optionally use a Phillips screwdriver to remove the Phillips screw holding the cross bar to the slide, then push the slide button and pull the slide off of the rail:

NOTES:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/184730436@N05/A6a0K1

https://www.flickr.com/gp/184730436@N05/E344CV

https://www.flickr.com/gp/184730436@N05/Afv47w

https://www.flickr.com/gp/184730436@N05/75XE26

https://www.flickr.com/gp/184730436@N05/69h527

CORRECTION: To ONLY remove CROSS BARS, it is NOT necessary to remove any 25mm Torx rail screws: Use a Phillips screwdriver to remove the 4 Phillips screws holding the cross bars to the slides, then slide the slides along the installed rails until the cross bars are diagonally-oriented such that the cross bars pop out of the slides.

I was able to find instructions online somewhere.
Cause I hate breaking 20 year old plastic I did not remove the end caps.
I took the rack off all in one shot.
It is awkward and it would be real easy to tweak it if not careful.
Then I removed the cross bars from the slides by taking out those phillips head screws.
Marked everything clearly, just to be on the safe side (right, left, front, back, etc), and was able to put it aside while I did work on the roof.

Back