• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Renix Idle/Misfire Issues Video

justfalcon

NAXJA Forum User
Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faKKO7SoSvU&feature=youtu.be

Sound on / up loud

Did cruiser54s throttle body mod - tapped npt fitting and ran new line to a brand new MAP sensor - fixed idle startup issues right away. Cleaned TB, new gasket, etc.

Got rid of engine vac harness and ran lines straight per the diagram - see video

No vac lines are loose/slide off easily

Somewhere along the last few weeks the evap canister lines got unplugged and I've somehow apparently lost the vac line from canister to fuel vent.

I've scoured the earth for a dummy/DIY guide for replacing that whole line and cannot find anything. Underneath the jeep on pass side there was a 90 degree hardline that looks like it goes to a vac line towards the rear that had nothing on it so I connected a new vac line between that and the canister and reconnected the line to the airbox and that seems to have fixed the massive fuel/exhaust smell that I was getting.

New o2 sensor was just put in, so don't mind the smoking/clearing the PB Blast off in the video

After doing all of this the idle was real high ~1500rpm but couldn't find any vac leaks - adjusted the TPS slightly counterclockwise and it has fixed the issue and idle is back at ~800rpm

Now - when I give it throttle I'm getting a new issue - sounds like some sort of backfire/pop as noted in the video.

Is it something to do with how I have the vac lines routed? The doorman harness paired up with the diagram seems to have some redundancies which I've gotten rid of in the layout in the video.

Any ideas? I'm still getting a slight exhaust/gas smell while standing out of the jeep w/ the driver door open but can't pinpoint anything...

Just a thought as I struggle through my own tps issues.
Only one of the three TPS I have does not give me the a huge gas/exhaust smell from the engine bay.
That said, have you confirmed TPS is in working order?

Just a thought as I struggle through my own tps issues.
Only one of the three TPS I have does not give me the a huge gas/exhaust smell from the engine bay.
That said, have you confirmed TPS is in working order?

As far as the gas/exhaust smell that's lower on my concern list than the backfire/misfire issues in the video. I can just go get a new TPS later today and swap that out - unless you're saying a TPS (which didn't cause this issue before) is causing this issue now?

As far as the gas/exhaust smell that's lower on my concern list than the backfire/misfire issues in the video. I can just go get a new TPS later today and swap that out - unless you're saying a TPS (which didn't cause this issue before) is causing this issue now?

To clarify, my high idle issues were 100% solved by readjusting the TPS. Don't know why a TPS would cause an exhaust/fuel smell...No longer any fumes in the engine bay, just when standing towards the center of the jeep.

I don't know why it would cause the smell either but it does for two if TPS I bought. It is weird. Since your idle issues are fixed I would assume it's something else as well.

Back