• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1990 xj laredo ticking.

B_synister

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all! Newbie to the forums here. But since theres a bunch of people who know more than I do on here, my 1990 xj Laredo started ticking really bad a month ago. Its not exhaust leak (though I do have one) and i dont believe it's the flexplate. I've tightened and torqued to spec. What I'm asking is does this sound like a rod knock or something different? It's there through all temps, hot an cold. But it's only there when I'm in gear. Switch to park or neutral and it's gone. Or when I'm idling down a hill. Other than that it's there pretty persistently. I'll post a video if I need to. But if it were rod knock, wouldn't it be constant?

Sounds like it's only doing it when the driveline is loaded - you get it when in gear but not moving?

What if you "power brake" it? Hold the brakes hard and press the gas pedal enough to load the driveline but not move forward.

Could be u joints.

Also check your motor mounts. Motor could be torquing under load and the fan can hit the shroud.

Back