• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What are these wires for?!?

xjklmnop69

NAXJA Forum User
Awhile back I swapped in some WJ front seats into the XJ but now I'm finally coming back and trying to hook up power to the motors and I added heated seat pads under the leather ;) The Cherokee in is a luxury stay now

I pulled up the passenger side carpet to run wires from the underdash fuse panel and found there was already a two pin connector under the seat. The one wire is i'd guess a 12 gauge yellow with green stripe then a 16 gauge red with blue stripe. The yellow with green I figured out to be a switched +12v source. The Red/blue stripe isn't a ground and could not get +12v unless its connected to something with a blown fuse (haven't checked them all) or empty cavity. Did a little searching on the interwebs but couldn't find a diagram to trace it back.

Does anybody know what the original intention of these wires? What is the bigger red/green for?

I'd like to use the switched 12v for the heated seats the if I could get constant 12v from big red I'd like to use that for the power. The heated seat kits I installed have a fuse so I can at least do that as planned with the yellow wire. If this is already a fused source I'd like to remove the kits fuse so I don't have a big bundle of wires under the seat.

Thanks kindly ya'll

I'd need to see a picture of it but on my Jeep (95 Country) that was the connection for the power seat. Basically all that connector did was provide power to the seat and then the switch panel did all the rest. I don't remember the colors off the top of my head. There's also another smaller connector close by that is the wiring for the seatbelt warning chime.

I didn't even think about the chime wires. Mine happened to be missing them on the passenger side. I checked the drivers side to compare; it is also a two pin connector but is much smaller than the wires in question

Fuse # 29 feeds the big red wire which is constant 12v. Then fuse #18 feeds the smaller yellow wire which is switched ignition power.

Turns out that is exactly what they were intended for. Power and heated seats. I didn't know XJs were offered that or that they were wired for options they didn't come with. Mine is a 99 sport that had manual seats without heat

I didn't make it to the driver side today but I hope there are wires already there for me too =)

In my '00 XJ there is a connector for when they come with power or power/heated seats under the passenger seat.
As a matter of fact I was able to put in power/heated XJ seats in mine that did not come with her because of this. It was literally plug and play. Need the rest of the wiring harness that connected to what was under the passenger seat, the seats and bases themselves, the switches for the heated seat part, and one of those silver circuit breakers that are in the fuse box in the footwell.

Many times it's cheaper to use the same wiring harness across trim levels and leave the extra ends unconnected than to produce differnet speced wiring harness complicating logistics and cost.

Finished up the install the other week. Driver's side did not have any wiring other than the door chime. Jumped the power off the passenger side and ran it over to the driver.

Power adjustments on constant power
Heated seats on ignition power

Back