• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New oiling project........

RCP Phx

NAXJA Forum User
I've had this running thru my head for a couple years now. I just ordered a factory oil filter adapter to confirm my idea.

The plan is to build a engine pre-oiler: it would consist of a check valve installed in the filter adapter body so all the oil goes thru the filter and a pressure switch to turn it off when it reaches pressure. A suction tube would have to be welded into the pan for supply oil.
http://www.improvedracing.com/oil-pumps-electric/marco-up2-088gpm-electric-oil-circulation-gear-pump-p-795.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyujC6biS5gIVkK_sCh0vmA5HEAQYBSABEgKtW_D_BwE&utm_campaign=googleproductsearchusen&utm_medium=product_search&utm_source=googleproductsearchusen

I'm not off to a very good start with this project, Mopar has dis-continued the part and a quick search shows no NOS anywhere. I do have a line on one, the bolts are dis-continued also but I did manage to locate a couple in NOS so I did order those.

Have you considered using an accumulator based setup instead? A check valve has a not trivial propensity to fail open; consider a spool type NC solenoid valve instead. Tie it to the pump power in your idea or ignition in an accumulator system.

I have used many accumulator systems over the years but they have limitations/downsides that I don't want. For one in a XJ, I'm just out of room to mount large items, 2nd if I decide to do a turbo they can't supply the needed "after-oiling".

I presume your moving on to plan B regarding the filter adapter. A Oil Cooler Sandwich Adapter or Remote Oil Filter Adapter would fit the bill. Given the DD/tow usage of my one XJ, I'd be inclined to use an ORB tee at the drain plug for the supply. ORB tee right into the hole would be fairly low profile. My fun XJ, not so much since me and Murphy don't always get along.

No change in plans at this time, I have a oil adapter on order so we'll see if I get it. If not I will p/u one from the pick/n/pull, the bolts will be here Monday.

What is a ORB?

I should add that I'm trying to see if the adapter has a spot thick enough to drill/tap for AN fitting. If there is not enough material the next step would be to see if the aluminum is of weldable quality to add a bung to it.

ORB = O-Ring Boss. It's a style of hydraulic fitting that has an o-ring around the perimeter of the body. Typically, unless it's a straight fitting, there's a washer and nut behind the o-ring that allows you to orient the fitting and then tighten the nut to compress the o-ring and seal the connection.

A Oil Cooler Sandwich Adapter or Remote Oil Filter Adapter would fit the bill.

That would be challenge because the factory adapter uses a indexing pin to prevent rotation.
I just received my bolts today and my adapter is in the mail from the UK.

The pin is only used to prevent rotation of the adapter, it is not required. You can most certainly remove the pin and bolt an adapter directly the block. My original thought was to keep the existing oem adapter in place and use the sandwich or remote filter adapters as intended, either between the oem adapter and the filter or in place of the filter.

It still won't perform what I need. I don't need a full bypass port(supply/return) and specially at that size, it would just create a bunch of addition plumbing. I don't even know if there is enough space for a sandwich adapter. I only need one 1/8" NPT port as I will run a -4AN to the adapter from the pump.

I may not need the adapter and bolts, I finally took a look at how the factory plumbing is in the block. Turns out that the sending unit bolt may be the easiest to tap a couple of new holes in. They would be much stronger than aluminum and I could get it done without messing with the adapter at all.

I just received my adapter, NIB from the UK. Good thing I went another route, while the aluminum quality looks good it would still be a challenge.
P1080706_zpszfrnyrpm.jpg

I received most of my AN fittings and my new Melling oil pump yesterday. My pre-oil pump will be here tomorrow along with the rest of the parts. I ordered a new oil pan and in the mean time I will work on blue-printing the oil pump.

I've never seen or done a Jeep pump before, it's passages are a little odd so I am very limited as to what I can do. Even though it's a new Melling it can be improved.
1- the pick-up tube blocks about 1/3 of the suction side port so I will shape that back.
2- the suction port will get radius'ed back.
3- I will take off .002" from the housing to get the end-play tightened up.
4- for safety/assurance only I will install a galley plug in the PRV machining port.
5- the gasket covers a small portion of the output port so it will get properly trimmed.

The side clearance is ok but the gear mesh/back-lash is in the red but I can't do anything about that! Pics later as I get things going.

Here's the oil adapter parts(cosmolined and ready to vacumm pack) and the new pump ready to start on the work.
P1080707_zpstzpcaglm.jpg

P1080708_zpslwj1l55x.jpg

Here's the pre-oil pump next to the adapter for size. It has 3/8" BPP threads with nipples to 3/8" NPT that will get changed out to AN fittings.
P1080709_zpsfovisyzb.jpg

Got my galley plugs in the mail today(and installed), tomorrow I'll start the die grinder work.
P1080710_zpshj1uimdh.jpg

The pump is done just in time, I will receive my new oil pan tomorrow. I took pics but there is only one(the pick-up tube) that you clearly see anything of what I was doing. Now I have to find a location for the pre-oil pick-up to fit.

P1080711_zpsdl1djnzt.jpg

Re: Anti-warp jig

It's what I've been up to the last couple days. Tomorrow I will hammer out the pan to alleviate any issues there might have been with the pump clearance and then I will install the oil pump/pick-up(on the jig) for final mock-up. It's all very tight in there but once I get a chance to see it I will figure it out. I think I can guaranty that I can weld on this with-out any warpage. I'm still waiting on a couple of plumbing parts so I wanted to get this done.
P1080716_zpsobxxwodm.jpg

Back