NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old June 20th, 2018, 16:20
NAXJA Forum User

steering stabilizer questions

I am in need of a steering stabilzer for my xj and noticed a crazy price difference in the price of fox stabilizers for the xj and the jk. I wanted to know if that price difference is due to the stabilizer being built solely for stock xj steering. I have a cavfab steering kit so i was curious if i could just get the fox jk stabilizer and use that. Thanks in advance.
Old June 20th, 2018, 17:24
NAXJA Forum User

Re: steering stabilizer questions

Well do what you want since a steering damper is not needed anyway!
Old June 20th, 2018, 17:29
NAXJA Member

order one from doetsch tech, they have their normal twin tube is like $40 but they do make a monotube stabilizer that's $121. their high end stuff is waaay better than fox or bilstein
Old June 22nd, 2018, 12:33
NAXJA Member # 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP Phx View Post
Well do what you want since a steering damper is not needed anyway!
Not true.

A more correct statement would be, that a steering stabilizer should not be used as a band-aid to cover up worn or improperly designed steering components.

My WJ OTK setup is dialed in and performs flawlessly on the road and off, but a stabilizer is a nice addition to soften the jolt transmitted to the steering wheel when traveling off-road on rubble strewn, rutted or washboard tracks for long distances.

The FOX ATS and Teraflex Falcon units are definitely high end and spendy, but the ability to tune them is nice and the pass-thru design eliminates the mild steering pull that is typically associated with a gas charged unit. I scored a smokin deal on a low-mile Fox ATS unit a few weeks ago that had been run on a JK, before the owner move up to 1-tons, 40's and hydro assist.
Old June 22nd, 2018, 13:37
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJEEPER View Post
Not true.

A more correct statement would be, that a steering stabilizer should not be used as a band-aid to cover up worn or improperly designed steering components.

My WJ OTK setup is dialed in and performs flawlessly on the road and off, but a stabilizer is a nice addition to soften the jolt transmitted to the steering wheel when traveling off-road on rubble strewn, rutted or washboard tracks for long distances.

The FOX ATS and Teraflex Falcon units are definitely high end and spendy, but the ability to tune them is nice and the pass-thru design eliminates the mild steering pull that is typically associated with a gas charged unit. I scored a smokin deal on a low-mile Fox ATS unit a few weeks ago that had been run on a JK, before the owner move up to 1-tons, 40's and hydro assist.

Exactly. Rubicon express also makes a pass thru. I run ome
Old June 22nd, 2018, 14:25
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98XJTyler View Post
I am in need of a steering stabilzer for my xj and noticed a crazy price difference in the price of fox stabilizers for the xj and the jk. I wanted to know if that price difference is due to the stabilizer being built solely for stock xj steering. I have a cavfab steering kit so i was curious if i could just get the fox jk stabilizer and use that. Thanks in advance.
Not sure on the differences in prices. Sorry if that doesn’t help but I’m running the Cavfab steering also but without a steering stabilizer. Stabilizers are not needed providing everything is dialed in on the front of your Jeep.