• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wonderfully awful idea.

zachandandy

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
While wheeling the wife's wj out the Dusy last Friday night to rescue my busted up jeep, I had a crazy thought. Next summer, I am going to attempt to run as much of the Dusy as I can in 1 night. We made it through the first 7 miles of trail in 2 hours, setting up camp at midnight. Keep in mind this was loaded down with a 3600watt generator, my lincoln175hd, full compliment of hand tools, a cordless bandsaw, impact gun, drill, and sawsall, steel plate, hi lift, and camping gear. If I can maintain that pace, the entire trail could be done in 1 night. Looking for other people crazy enough to attempt a night time Dusy marathon event. Don't know if it's ever been done, but after being denied this year, I want to come back in a big way.

you are insane.

Im down.

Lessons learned from this years trip, steering needs beefed. Already had a durango box, 7/8" heim joints and 1.5" 1/4" wall dom, and 1/4" plates inside and outside of frame at steering box. Managed to rip the box from the frame, split the frame nearly in 2, break a sector shaft,and break intermidiate shaft twice. Ram assist will definately be installed before the next trip. Yukon chromos will be in the front 44 since I broke a stock shaft. I'll be carrying a spare driveshaft(or 2). Jeep will be arriving in my new trailer, as I'd rather not leave it up there for 2 weeks again. Frame will be plated in 3/16"x3" angle.Hope tohave some sort of cage done by then. Front radius arm will be converted to a 3 link. Hope to replace front springs(7.5" RE) with metalcloak 5.5" progressive tj coils, lowering ride height about 1"-1.5". Also rebuilding my rear shackle mounts as my angle is a little too flat. If money permits, beadlocks also moved upthe list. With as wide as my jeep is(84") and as narrow as parts of this trail are, I burpped air out of my tires multiple times. We'll see how the winter goes,but she should be good and ready long before the snow melts. Now that the wife wants me to build bumpers for the wj, I can get some fab time without being pulled 10 different directions.

Lessons learned from this years trip, steering needs beefed. Already had a durango box, 7/8" heim joints and 1.5" 1/4" wall dom, and 1/4" plates inside and outside of frame at steering box. Managed to rip the box from the frame, split the frame nearly in 2, break a sector shaft,and break intermidiate shaft twice..

I cant believe that you broke this much steering. wow. I have inner and outer $ bolt plates , a 4 bolt box, and track bar and steering box cross braces that go to the other side of the frame, and i welded up some steel on top of the frame by the box. i guess nothing is permanent and the Dusy means spare boxes and steering shafts to the column. i have all spares for all of those things and I still am worried damn. haha. hopefully ill have a ready welder by next year.

it kinda sounds like you were molested by the Dusy and now you want payback.

You could say that. The intermediate shaft failures I'm sure were caused by driving it without power steering, pulling on the wheel as hard as I could. I still feel ram assist will do the most to alleviate stresses on the rest of the steering system. I'd like to go full hydraulic, but may not be in the cards at this point in the build.

You are correct - that sounds like a terrible idea. Good luck!

I agree. I ran the Rubicon in 1 day many years ago. It sucked driving past all the fun camping and hiking spots. Driving that far with no chance to relax made for a long and tedious day on the trail. Not worth it to me.

I agree. I ran the Rubicon in 1 day many years ago. It sucked driving past all the fun camping and hiking spots. Driving that far with no chance to relax made for a long and tedious day on the trail. Not worth it to me.

Uh... you ran the whole thing just last October, on a Sunday, in only a few hours.

Uh... you ran the whole thing just last October, on a Sunday, in only a few hours.

Yeah, but at least I got to camp on the trail and hang out at the observation point with some good friends.

I was talking about in 2006 when I ran it with a guy from so-cal who only had 1 day left to run it. It was cool and all, but I really wanted to stop at the lake and relax.

Sounds like a hell of a good time! 35s and lockers right?..... and alot of skinny pedal? Ive had alot of experience so you boys don't have to worry about me...
Im so game. Although im in SoCal area. I have a buddy who's not far from there and would love to go.

Jackie

Back