• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trans Shifting Too soon?? HELP PLEASE!!

brad_96xj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 xj with the AW4 trans from a 97. I purchased this jeep that way about 3 months ago. After doing lots of work to it I finally got to take it out on the road and test it out.

When starting in drive it will shift all gears and be in over drive by about 10-15 MPH. I can pull it back into 1-2 and it will stay there until I manually shift it. after about an hour of dirt road driving and a little crawling, it will no longer go down into first gear.

I have already seen the post on NAXJA (Everything you need to know about the AW4) and searched for hours on google.

I replaced the TPS, cleaned the NSS, and double checked the wiring to the best of my ability. I'm still not totally clear on the wiring that needed to be changed to make this year cross work.

am i missing anything that you guys can think of? any help would be much appreciated! i would love to not have to swap this thing out before a wheeling trip on Aug 10th!!

Are you sure you installed a 97 trans and not a 98+? The 97 and down transmissions have a 1 pulse per revolution output signal and the 98+ is 4 pulses per revolution. Since the TCU is getting 4x the pulses that would explain why it's hitting OD at 10mph instead of 40.

I don't think so. Here is the I'd plate on the transmission
Are you sure you installed a 97 trans and not a 98+? The 97 and down transmissions have a 1 pulse per revolution output signal and the 98+ is 4 pulses per revolution. Since the TCU is getting 4x the pulses that would explain why it's hitting OD at 10mph instead of 40.
531bfd0bb3d06a88264658bf29ebf751.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I don't think so. Here is the I'd plate on the transmission
531bfd0bb3d06a88264658bf29ebf751.jpg

Isn't the 42-LE in the XJ and not the 43-LE? There are some differences between the 2 but I do not know what they are.

Yup, that looks like a 98-99 transmission. Does it have a sensor in the side of the transmission by the shift shaft?

Also FYI the 52104210AB is a 98-99 transmission and the 52104210AC is an 00-01 transmission.

This makes total sense!
Yup, that looks like a 98-99 transmission. Does it have a sensor in the side of the transmission by the shift shaft?

Also FYI the 52104210AB is a 98-99 transmission and the 52104210AC is an 00-01 transmission.
That makes total sense. Thank you! Guess I can just install a rail shifter and shift it the old fashion way...

Back