• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cleaning Up Threads in the Nut Strip on the passenger side by the gas tank

oldbill

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to clean up the threads in the nuts in my nut strip on my 2000 Cherokee. I tried using a round brush to remove the dirt and rust. Didn't do much. Tried a trhead chasing tap, could't even get it to start in. Tried a regular tap could bareley get it started and then couldn't make any further progress. Looking for any idea on this problem also in removing the rear bolt that holds the tail pipe bracket. I'm about to give up on trying to install the hitch.

What size tap you trying to use? - I don't remember off the top of my head but I believe they are metric threads in there...

I ended up opening the end of the frame rail and removing those nut strips -- Built my own along with my own hitch

Because I have been dealing with a lot of used parts, option upgrades that my Jeep did not come with, and have to use some of the factory hardware I invested in these.

https://www.amazon.com/Astro-9020-Wire-Brush-20-Piece/dp/B0045CUMJ8

https://www.cpooutlets.com/lang-971...c-thread-restorer-kit/lngn971,default,pd.html

You might be able to better price wise these are just to show you what I bought. Use some sort of oil, I use a cutting oil, when using the thread restorer tool. Bolts in the nut strip are M12 X 1.75 X 40. Common size that can be purchased. Just make sure you buy Class 10.9 ones.

Can you poke a small wire or thin drill bit into the hole? Make sure it's goes in deep enough to bottom out. Could be just so much crud collected that it's blocking the hole.

>clean up the threads in the nuts in my nut strip
I think it's worth replacing the nut strips. They aren't particular expensive and they are available from several sources.

> removing the rear bolt that holds the tail pipe bracket.
You can spray penetrating oil onto the top of the bolt by accessing it through the rear access to the frame rail. It might be a little tricky if your bumper is on, but you should be able to get into it. You might need to soak a small bit of rag with fluid and stuff it in. If you are going to replace the nutstrips anyway, you can certainly break that bolt and replace it with fresh hardware. I've removed hitches in the Junkyard before, and I've used a 3 foot breaker bar to do it. Because of the location of the gas tank, I probably would not get out the torch.

Back