• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cracking/ Popping sound comming from front end/steering

Rjackson32

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98 4wd Cherokee Sport. 111,000 miles. When I turn to the left, at any speed including stopped there is a popping sound comming from where the tie rod connects to something else via a bearing. BUT, the sound also sounds like it is comming from the U-Joint in the steering column. People tell me I will loose my steering at any moment now... is this true? If so what is the real problem called so I can sound educated when I bring it to a mechanic. Thanks guys.

Rjackson32 said:
I have a 98 4wd Cherokee Sport. 111,000 miles. When I turn to the left, at any speed including stopped there is a popping sound comming from where the tie rod connects to something else via a bearing. BUT, the sound also sounds like it is comming from the U-Joint in the steering column. People tell me I will loose my steering at any moment now... is this true? If so what is the real problem called so I can sound educated when I bring it to a mechanic. Thanks guys.
:confused: bearing on a tie rod?
1. Tie rod ends need grease every so often, so try greasing them
2. Tie rod ends wear out with time: check if it feels loose
3. Make sure that your steering box is not loose on the frame rail

Also, you're saying with a fair amount of certainty as to where the noise is coming from. Did you have someone turn the wheel while you listened? Or did you listen from the cab? Another item to check is to make sure that the trackbar bracket is firmly bolted to the frame rail.

I have greased all the fittings down there with front end greese. But how do I check if its loose? the steering is really, loose.I can practically turn the wheel 1/4 of a turn and nothig happens...... How do I check the steering box? and yes, i had someone turn the wheel while i listened with a stethoscope or however you spell it.

A stethoscope? If it's popping loud enough to hear in the cab, you certainly don't need that to hear it. Matter of fact, you use that on the track bar and it's lose, you'll need more than a stethoscope to hear with, you won't have any eardrums left. :D You should of seen or heard where it was if you had someone turning the wheel while you were under the front.

I can hear it in the cab but its hard to tell where exactly it is comming from becasue everything is connected and vibrates through. A stethoscope is usualy good for finding the origin of such noises but unfourtunately, it wasnt as precise with me. What could this be? I greesed all the fittings and it only happens when I turn LEFT... Why? My steering is really realy loose, are there things I can just tighten? Or is there something I should replace. I am willing to spend money but I want to try tightening stuff first. Thanks

Control arm bushings.

Are you sure? and does it sound like its just that? So if i replace my controll arm bushings all will be well? Should i have the mechanic tighten everthing up while he is down there? can anyone seccond that cure? and what makes you say that? What was the key symptom?

The poor guy drove 2 hours for 45 minutes of work. I'll let Rjackson32 fill you in on how it drives after his trip back home, but the summary version is that he had two problems: The track bar frame backet was loose and popping due to lateral loading when turning. We could get the same noise with the engine off, by pushing sideways on the front fender, which was a hint it wasn't in the steering.

And the steering box over-center lash took a bit of adjusting up.

All seems to be well and I hope we'll be seeing another XJ driver at a future trail ride.

Eagle said:
The poor guy drove 2 hours for 45 minutes of work. I'll let Rjackson32 fill you in on how it drives after his trip back home, but the summary version is that he had two problems: The track bar frame backet was loose and popping due to lateral loading when turning.
Kejtar said:
Also, you're saying with a fair amount of certainty as to where the noise is coming from. Did you have someone turn the wheel while you listened? Or did you listen from the cab? Another item to check is to make sure that the trackbar bracket is firmly bolted to the frame rail.
wooohoo :D :D :D

I had the same problem. Retorqued the tie rod bracket bolts on the frame rail and it's been fine ever since. BTW, it's also worth checking fir stress cracks around the steering gear bolts in the other frame rail.

Back