• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Liftgate Shocks

techno1154

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I need some for my 1996 XJ. I looked online at the usual websites but all I came across for that year had had that plastic ball joint head. Where could I get some with metal instead of plastic?
On another project, I bought some metal ends and replaced the plastic.

I have been happy with the ones from O'Rielly's (Checker/Schucks/Kragen--whatever they are calling themselves anymore). They have metal ends and a lifetime warranty.

I just bought the ones my Napa sells and thinking they have been fine for 9 or so years now.
There is one thing I try not to do.
Somebody once wrote to let the hatch go up on its own and not push it.
Right or wrong I do that.

If you can/need to push them up, they need replacing (before the 'gate falls on your head) - like my parts '96.

Both of the others, once you pull the latch you have to stand back so it doesn't catch you under the chin.

Not pushing them up cause you have to.
More being in a hurry and just want the hatch up.

If you can/need to push them up, they need replacing (before the 'gate falls on your head) - like my parts '96.

Both of the others, once you pull the latch you have to stand back so it doesn't catch you under the chin.

Mine falls on my head. I prop it up with a mop stick. When I forget to do that I am promptly reminded. When a person is in a hurry gravity never fails to slow you down. :banghead:

O'Rielly's and Napa are my drive to parts store. I will get a pair in the morning.

Avoid the ones at advance. They pop off the mounts. One punche a hole straight through my seal, out the top of the jeep and and damaged the exterior door.

Avoid the ones at advance. They pop off the mounts. One punche a hole straight through my seal, out the top of the jeep and and damaged the exterior door.

OH! Wow!

I got the O'riley's and so far so good. No more tailgate smacking the head.

:cheers:

I'd replaced mine once and the replacement lasted just about a year. Then I hit a NAXJA thread recommending the StrongArm brand. Mine for a 98 were the Strong Arm 4291's. They are now 7 years old and only don't raise the liftgate all the way in very low temperatures. Otherwise they're as good as new.

I got StronArms on my '99, maybe as a result of the same recommendation, that was maybe 6 years ago, work really well - & are easy to close. Don't know how cold you meant, but mine were fine last weekend when it around freezing all day.

Don't know what make the '98 came with about 4 years ago, but not original. No real complaints but it is hard work pull the liftgate down the first 2/3 & even then you really have to slam it shut.

I got StronArms on my '99, maybe as a result of the same recommendation, that was maybe 6 years ago, work really well - & are easy to close. Don't know how cold you meant, but mine were fine last weekend when it around freezing all day.

Don't know what make the '98 came with about 4 years ago, but not original. No real complaints but it is hard work pull the liftgate down the first 2/3 & even then you really have to slam it shut.

Just that when it's below maybe 40F it won't glide all the way open on its own, you have to help it the last 1/3rd. No big deal but if you forget sometimes you'll bonk your head. I'll take that over replacing them often.

Well it was 35* when I went out Saturday morning but it was maybe 45* by the time I came to open the liftgate. Didn't occur to me that temperature may be relevant, I'll have to monitor that, although they're kept in a particularly mild part of the country, so it being that cold is very rare.

Well it was 35* when I went out Saturday morning but it was maybe 45* by the time I came to open the liftgate. Didn't occur to me that temperature may be relevant, I'll have to monitor that, although they're kept in a particularly mild part of the country, so it being that cold is very rare.

Yes, it does. When they begin to get weak it makes a difference whether it is hot or cold until one or both die completely.

This holiday I am enjoying is to celebrate what Christians refer to as Christmas. I wish all of my fellow NAXJA'ers a very happy Christmas holiday. And please, do not do anything that I would not do.

Lift gate still but a different issue.

I replaced the door locks a few weeks ago because I lost the keys. I did not get a third lock for the tailgate. It does open electrically, no problem there. However, I would like to have the option to use the key just because :dunno:

I do have the two removed door locks. Is it possible to move the tumblers around to get them to work with the new key?

Probably - but I suspect a locksmith is more likely to succeed.

I have a rather different hatch latch issue: my replacement hatch has no lock cylinder, which rather suggests it can be removed in situ. I have tried to remove the cylinder from the original hatch but can find no way of doing it.

I thought it might be easier on the bench - but can't remove the latch assembly.

any ideas anyone?

Merry Christmas.

Probably - but I suspect a locksmith is more likely to succeed.

I have a rather different hatch latch issue: my replacement hatch has no lock cylinder, which rather suggests it can be removed in situ. I have tried to remove the cylinder from the original hatch but can find no way of doing it.

I thought it might be easier on the bench - but can't remove the latch assembly.

any ideas anyone?

Merry Christmas.

I am yet to remove the liftgate trim to look at the lock and compeer it to the door locks, but I am sure it could be removed. I do not know the year of your XJ but the early XJ's have a fiberglass lift gates. I guess that lock may be different that the door locks, the difference in thickness between the door sheet metal and the fiberglass. I will have to look closer.

Thanks for the lock smith tip. I will definitely look into that.

A locksmith can certainly key a new cylinder to match.

If you can remove the lock assembly and take it to the locksmith they will be your best bet. They may have to order a new cylinder, or they may have parts on hand (pins/tumblers) to re-key your existing one. Be sure to bring along both the key that currently opens the lock and the key you want it to match.

Back