• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Plastic fuel tank in 91?

dan1977p

NAXJA Forum User
My gas tank is beyond repair and I need to replace it. Best solution I can think of to avoid the rusting issue in the old metal tank is to replace it with a new plastic one or pull one from the jy if I can find one.
Are the newer year's tanks interchangeable with my current 20gal option? If so, what years should I look for? If I go new, I'd like to get one with the pump already installed so I can pull my current pump and use it as a spare.

91' XJ Sport, 4wd, AW4, 20 gal fuel tank option.

From what I have gathered you could probably mount the tank without too much trouble. Might need new filler neck lines, but beyond that I don't think are actually any physical space challenges. Problems come in with the lack of a return line and the differences in fuel gauge. My '96 avoids the return line issue (1 year only), but I am not aware of anyone who has resolved the gauge issue.

You do need both hoses and the filler neck from the newer tank's jeep. My 96 harness plugged into the 97+ harness, but I had to move pins around on the 97+ fuel pump tail to get the gauge to remotely work. My gauge goes from registering 1/4 tank at full to -1/4 below the empty line, so not much resolution. Maybe I'll measure the fuel gauge sender resistance at full and empty from both pumps and see what resistance I need to add in series or subtract in parallel.

Last edited:
Back