• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What adhesive do I use for rocker panel trim?

@dam

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys. I have a 95 sport. On the bottom edge of the car, from front flare, along the doors, back to the liftgate, it has this textured plastic trim piece with red and black stripes on it. Several of these pieces are beginning to peel off. Is there anything special I should do, or any special adhesive I should use, to put them back on? What should I use to clean all of the gunk off before reattaching them? What should I use to glue them back on?

Thanks
-@dam

Use double sided tape. 3m has a tape which is about 1mm thick. 2 strips of this tape along the trim should do it. Some sort of alcohol to remove the old adhesive.

regards
Torfinn

torfinn said:
Use double sided tape. 3m has a tape which is about 1mm thick. 2 strips of this tape along the trim should do it. Some sort of alcohol to remove the old adhesive

3m "Automotive Mounting Tape" is the stuff. Gray with a red cover sheet.

I used Goo Gone to remove the remnants of the factory tape when I removed the side moldings from my '00. I'd follow that up with isopropyl alcohol to make sure the surface was clean for the new tape.

Den

And just to add to the confusion, I use 3M Emblem and Trim Adhesive. It's like a more liquid form of Shoe Goo, liquid enough to allow a little adjustment when you put the piece on, but sticky enough to hold it when you let go.

Ah- the liquid trim & emblam adhesive sounds like the way to go. I like the idea of being able to move it around a little. Where do you get something like that? A specialty paint store?

Thanks for the quick replies, guys.

Back