• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Remanufactured engine reliability

asymptonic

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I've come to the conclusion I'm going to need to swap motors. Really want to rebuild in place but I only have the one vehicle and can't afford the downtime.

So, my question is, who has gotten a remanufactured engine? How has it been for you? How many miles have you gone on it?

Leaning towards Jasper as they all have horror stories but they seem to at least honor the warranty. Does any one know the quality of parts they put in it?

We tossed on in my sisters rig from oreillys. Ben about 4 years now and I’m not even sure the mileage. My cousin owns it now as she moved on to a new renegade. No complaints about the purchase. Would do again if I had another xj.

Jasper they have a good warranty program if something should happen.

6 months is not a very good warranty. OP, why not p/u a core motor and build it. For the money your going to pay for a rebuilt motor and "shipping" you would be way ahead and hopefully end up with a better build!

Don't forget about core charges and any return shipping!

6 months is not a very good warranty. OP, why not p/u a core motor and build it. For the money your going to pay for a rebuilt motor and "shipping" you would be way ahead and hopefully end up with a better build!

As mentioned, I can't afford the downtime. I'd much rather be rebuilding my own if I could.

I was referring to you, but that's the same general idea!

After some more research, I'm considering buying a reman'ed short block and bringing the rest of my engine with it. Upside is I know I have a good cylinder head. Downsides?

:D Merely meant pulling my motor and rebuilding it without getting a second motor involved. Again, all comes back to not being able to have a long downtime without the Jeep.

:D Merely meant pulling my motor and rebuilding it without getting a second motor involved. Again, all comes back to not being able to have a long downtime without the Jeep.

Considering your situation, you need to find shop you trust and have a remanufactured engine installed, one with a guarantee that covers the cost of parts and labor if the engine goes bad during the warranty period.
This is the fastest way to get you back on the road again.

Jasper has a 3 year, 100,000 mile warranty that includes parts and labor, if repair or replacement is needed.
ATK has a 3 year, unlimited mileage warranty, also with includes parts and labor .
I'm sure there are other re-manufacturers out there with similar deals.

If you want too make driving more exciting, strokers are available too.
http://www.high-performance-engines.com/chrysler-long-block-engines-s/123.htm

Last edited:
Appreciate that advice. The Jeep runs at the moment, it just has a fairly strong piston slap. So I have some time to work out a solution, it's just that when the time comes, I can't be without the vehicle for weeks.

I got my engine through Titan, got their low buck reman (doesn't have the fancy head etc) with a stage one cam from Elgin. about 14k miles this year with zero issues. I am running Royal purple HPS In it right now and waiting for my results to come back from blackstone labs

If you are confident in doing it yourself and can borrow a lift from someone here are a few tips.
Set the engine to top dead zero and do the same for the new engine. This way your torque converter will bolt on properly without issue.
The top bolts of the bell housing are reverse torx bolts. I believe size 12 or 14? Crack those while the engine is still installed, motor mounts and all because those bolts wont budge with all the pressure after.
Take the rad out for room... you will need it.
But based on your issue with time I'm not sure if doing it yourself is a good idea unless you have good power tools to tackle any stuck bolts be it cut them or impact them off

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ATK engines that were remanufactured in Mexico are awful! I put a reman 4.0 in my '90 MJ and it coughed up the cam bearings 272 miles later. From a warranty perspective the company was hard to deal with and the parts store ended up running interference.

If you can find a local rebuilder you can appear on their doorstep if you have issues.

Back