• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Testing renix sensor ground resistance.

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so going by cruisers write up i stuck neg dvm lead to neg batt terminal and pos lead to tps ground terminal (back probed from harness side)
My meter read .3 ohms.....is that a low enough reading?

Cruiser where are ya?

Ok so going by cruisers write up i stuck neg dvm lead to neg batt terminal and pos lead to tps ground terminal (back probed from harness side)
My meter read .3 ohms.....is that a low enough reading?

Cruiser where are ya?

That's good. Did you wiggle the harness along the fuel rail at the same time to look for changes?

What year are we working on?

First off, check you meter by shorting the two probe tips together. You then subtract that number from your reading. In the old days, there was a zero adjustment on ohmmeters to do that for you.

This is on my 89....going through cruisers list and this is the last thing to do....as preventive maitenance.

I did touch the meter leads together and meter read 0. Ohms(craftsman dvm)

So should i leave it be since the ground circuit its only showing 300 miliohms?

I only found one splice near the map sensor...where is the other one?i was always confused by the write up....2 sets of three brown wires?twist all together and eliminate one wire?

There is another splice on the pass side of the valve cover and it has a bunch of black wires spliced to one that goes to the dipstick

I dont have have the c101.

This is on my 89....going through cruisers list and this is the last thing to do....as preventive maitenance.

I did touch the meter leads together and meter read 0. Ohms(craftsman dvm)

So should i leave it be since the ground circuit its only showing 300 miliohms?

I only found one splice near the map sensor...where is the other one?i was always confused by the write up....2 sets of three brown wires?twist all together and eliminate one wire?

There is another splice on the pass side of the valve cover and it has a bunch of black wires spliced to one that goes to the dipstick

I dont have have the c101.

There are variations by year.

If you remove the split loom between the MAP and IAT, you MAY find all the splices.

Most of the "splices" are put together with some kind of alien pasty goop...and a 1/8" wide band. Look for the goop. If you have enough wire, just cut all that goop out and solder them.

I CRACKED THE CODE!!

Ok apparently sometime in my jeeps previous life someone must have had trouble with the sensor grounds because what i thought was factory crimp splices were not....i pulled remnants of brown/white tracer wire out of the loom that had been cut and left for dead...

thats why when looking at my wires and reading the writeup things didnt jive.

Oh well got everything back together and taped up and the jeep runs just as good as it did before....thanks guys.

I CRACKED THE CODE!!

Ok apparently sometime in my jeeps previous life someone must have had trouble with the sensor grounds because what i thought was factory crimp splices were not....i pulled remnants of brown/white tracer wire out of the loom that had been cut and left for dead...

thats why when looking at my wires and reading the writeup things didnt jive.

Oh well got everything back together and taped up and the jeep runs just as good as it did before....thanks guys.

And the crowd cheers!!

One of us needs to take a good photo of the factory splices and post it up.

Search youtube for videos also, on using a volt ohm test meter.

The sensor needs to be disconnected from the wiring harness to test just the sensor, and to properly test the ground wire in the harness that grounds the sensor ground side of the sensor. The hardest part with meters is getting the range set and reading the decimal points... Lots of great you tube videos out there on meter basics.

Is there a write up on how to test continuity or ohms on renix sensors. Have not much experience with volt meters.

Back