• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Passenger side shaft removal on D30

XJ4x4

NAXJA Forum User
I searched and got nothing, might have used the wrong terms.

How do I get the passenger side axle shaft out far enough to remove the collar that the vac disco engages the shafts with? I have everything that I can think of taken off the axle on the passenger side, brake caliper, rotor, spindle nut and the 4 bolts on the back side of the backing plate and I get some movement maybe 1/2" or so but its not enough to get that collar off the shaft. What else do I have to do to get the shaft out far enough?

I'm a bit confused on what you are trying to do- first I remove the vacuum shift motor (pull off the vacuum lines, then remove 4 bolts holding on. You may have to remove the curved shield below it first (2 bolts) if you still have it.) This pulls the shift fork out of the sleeve, and you can reach into the shift motor mount are and lift out the sleeve, once the axle is pulled out. You should be ablt to pull out the outer axle shaft and U-joint without doing this- just pull once the hub is off. I take the shift motor off just to ensure the collar is in the right place when reassembling the axle shaft. If I understand, you are trying to remove the stub axle-u joint- main axle outer half (everything outboard from the vacuum disconnect). This pulls out once the hub is off. I think by hub I am referring to what you are calling the backing plate- the big chunk that the axle stub goes through to get to that big nut, held on by three bolts from the engine-side. The hub is a press (tight) fit in the knuckle. If you take it apart, try putting some antiseize on the area where it mates with the knuckle- much easier to remove next time.

Last edited:
It does move around freely inside the axle but it feels like theres a pin or something sticking out of the shaft coming from the diff and I cant get the collar around it. Can the pin be pulled out?

Back