• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Let's go riding in May!

94xjsport94

NAXJA Forum User
Last April Glenn, Mike, Andy, a few others and I went to Gulches and had a great time. Anyone want to get out and ride again this spring? Gulches would be fun but I think AOP would also be another fun park to explore.

I had mentioned to Mike and Andy and Mark that I wanted to go back to DT in May and explore the places we didn't get to see. I'll never return to Morris Mountain. AOP is as far as Harlan for me so I doubt I'll be going there any time soon either...... FWIW I can take a Friday off drive to Harlan and come back Sunday and it not cost any more then driving to AOP or Morris Mountain. Now, DT is about 3 hours closer and Worth the trip in my opinion. You guys may walk everything there but I seriously doubt it. I was planning on posting up a ride there for May but not till I got some things done. Just putting my .02 in.

I'm not sure what I'll be available to do so I'll just have to play it by ear. I really need to get some stuff done to mine before I go out again. My frame rails took a major beating at DT.

What's wrong with Morris? It's changed a lot since you and Stump went. There is a lot of fun stuff for our rigs.

DT is about 5 hours from me I believe. I could go anywhere else in the SE except for harlan in a shorter amount of time. I doubt I'll be going any time soon.

What's wrong with Morris? It's changed a lot since you and Stump went. There is a lot of fun stuff for our rigs.

DT is about 5 hours from me I believe. I could go anywhere else in the SE except for harlan in a shorter amount of time. I doubt I'll be going any time soon.

I was wondering the same thing. I have heard people say that they will not come back to Morris Mtn, most of it had to do with the management of the park????? Not sure what that entails.

I personally like the park and have never had any issues. I think it is in a great spot and has something for everyone.

Okay let me chime in here again. The reason I left a vague comment yesterday (other than the very real fact that my XJ is hurt right now) was because before we even left DT last weekend, Glenn did in fact say he would like to come back and was thinking that May would be good.

That being said, I didn't want this to spiral into a train wreck like the DT thread did earlier this week. But since it was stated that Morris Mountain has changed a lot since he's been there, I think it's only fair to ask that if it's at all possible that MM has changed substantially, isn't it also just as possible that DT has changed quite a bit since the initial opinions of the place began to surface? I mean, we were there and saw what we saw with our own eyes, you know? Is it the ultimate, be-all end-all trail system? No, but I'm sure with some more time it's only going to get much better and even more challenging than it already was for us. It may be much easier when it's dry, but I won't know for myself until I go back and try again.

I'm all for making the return trip there for three reasons. One is it's a good spot to wheel with differing levels of challenges, two it's closer for me, and three because Crawford's Campgrounds is like home for us old timers (well, except for that uppity Glenn guy that wants to stay at the "Hilton" of cabins lol)

Will, I understand that no matter what, everything that is close by us is further away for you and you may not "get" the camaraderie that us old timers feel about wheeling together in that area. I've been riding in those mountains with NAXJA since '02, so I sort of feel like we're championing for the park to be a success, and we see the potential that is already there for it to be awesome.

I also feel your pain about Harlan. It's just not feasible for me to drive that far either. I think you owe it to yourself to at least give DT one shot. So again, I'll throw an offer out there and I don't want ANYONE "reading between the lines" when I don't write between them; if you go there and at the end of the day you can look me in the eye and honestly say "it wasn't worth my time to come here" I'll give you your $20 entry fee back out of my own pocket. I truly want to see one of you bigger guys crawl that granite slab (not the bounty hill), I'd like to see the rest of the park that we didn't get to see, and most importantly I'd like to go back and wheel there when it's not a slick, muddy mess. The pictures and videos don't do some of the stuff that's there justice.

Disclaimer: For some of those that will take it as such, this post is not a "challenge" of any sort. I'm not saying "you can't do it". I AM saying, however, that I WANT to see one of our guys do it. If you don't want to go it's cool with me, man. :thumbup:

Last edited:

Challenge was not the issue. The distance and the handling of our "renting" the park for the crawl was. I will not support a business that doesn't take the time to prepare for it's incoming guest.

I was wondering the same thing. I have heard people say that they will not come back to Morris Mtn, most of it had to do with the management of the park????? Not sure what that entails.

I personally like the park and have never had any issues. I think it is in a great spot and has something for everyone.

Yes and distance. It's 7-8 hours towing for me to get there. I will go to Harlan before I go anywhere that distance. I'd like to go to AOP but it requires time off from work and a lot of fuel. Both of which get reserved for the crawl every summer.

Okay let me chime in here again. The reason I left a vague comment yesterday (other than the very real fact that my XJ is hurt right now) was because before we even left DT last weekend, Glenn did in fact say he would like to come back and was thinking that May would be good.

That being said, I didn't want this to spiral into a train wreck like the DT thread did earlier this week. But since it was stated that Morris Mountain has changed a lot since he's been there, I think it's only fair to ask that if it's at all possible that MM has changed substantially, isn't it also just as possible that DT has changed quite a bit since the initial opinions of the place began to surface? I mean, we were there and saw what we saw with our own eyes, you know? Is it the ultimate, be-all end-all trail system? No, but I'm sure with some more time it's only going to get much better and even more challenging than it already was for us. It may be much easier when it's dry, but I won't know for myself until I go back and try again.

I'm all for making the return trip there for three reasons. One is it's a good spot to wheel with differing levels of challenges, two it's closer for me, and three because Crawford's Campgrounds is like home for us old timers (well, except for that uppity Glenn guy that wants to stay at the "Hilton" of cabins lol)

Will, I understand that no matter what, everything that is close by us is further away for you and you may not "get" the camaraderie that us old timers feel about wheeling together in that area. I've been riding in those mountains with NAXJA since '02, so I sort of feel like we're championing for the park to be a success, and we see the potential that is already there for it to be awesome.

I also feel your pain about Harlan. It's just not feasible for me to drive that far either. I think you owe it to yourself to at least give DT one shot. So again, I'll throw an offer out there and I don't want ANYONE "reading between the lines" when I don't write between them; if you go there and at the end of the day you can look me in the eye and honestly say "it wasn't worth my time to come here" I'll give you your $20 entry fee back out of my own pocket. I truly want to see one of you bigger guys crawl that granite slab (not the bounty hill), I'd like to see the rest of the park that we didn't get to see, and most importantly I'd like to go back and wheel there when it's not a slick, muddy mess. The pictures and videos don't do some of the stuff that's there justice.

Disclaimer: For some of those that will take it as such, this post is not a "challenge" of any sort. I'm not saying "you can't do it". I AM saying, however, that I WANT to see one of our guys do it. If you don't want to go it's cool with me, man. :thumbup:

Mike I will attempt that rock next time...... I'm going to throw this out there but we are looking at May 23rd to go to DT. I'll throw a thread up shortly.

I'd like to go to DT, that's not the thing preventing me from going. What it is is the 5 hour drive to go to a questionable park (before ya'll had been). The biggest problem I run in to is my work schedule. I don't get off until 12:30-1 AM so I can't leave after work and make a long drive comfortably in the dark. So that puts me leaving at 6 AM to drive 5+ hours and wheel half a day or so. I'd rather just go to a much closer park and wheel a whole day or so. It's just an inconvenience more than anything else.

I can't speak on the management of MM, I've only been twice so far. 1 my club rented the park (I guess?) and all was well for the Saturday I was there. Then I went to Shamrock run put on by Hardline and they handled everything there again.

I'd like to go to DT, that's not the thing preventing me from going. What it is is the 5 hour drive to go to a questionable park (before ya'll had been). The biggest problem I run in to is my work schedule. I don't get off until 12:30-1 AM so I can't leave after work and make a long drive comfortably in the dark. So that puts me leaving at 6 AM to drive 5+ hours and wheel half a day or so. I'd rather just go to a much closer park and wheel a whole day or so. It's just an inconvenience more than anything else.

I can't speak on the management of MM, I've only been twice so far. 1 my club rented the park (I guess?) and all was well for the Saturday I was there. Then I went to Shamrock run put on by Hardline and they handled everything there again.

Completely understand the drive a distance thing. My closest place to wheel is URE(2 hours). Next is Gulches (3 hours). Then is DT(5 hours). Anything over 5 hours and I'm taking a couple days and go to Harlan is my attitude. However fuel cost and other fees keep me more local atm. I can hit up URE on a Saturday and have fun ridding in the forest but there isn't anything to challenge me. Unless it's wet...... I still end up meeting the local NC guys there because wheeling is only part of it to me. Yes I like the challenge but I like wheeling with people like you guys more then anything.

Yep, 5 hours is a haul for sure! That's almost as long as it would take me to get to Harlan, and that's what keeps me from going right now. How far is Gulches from you? I'm sure it's not much better (if any) than DT would be. I'm not against Morris Mountain; I've never been to make the judgement as to whether I like it or not. But as I said before, I'm pretty sure we're going to DT that month, and I think I may be going to Gulches on April 11th, then probably to Glenn's to help with the engine install April 18th so I'll be burning through a lot of gas money in the coming months.

:( I won't be able to come to Gulches on the 11th. I'll be at Uwharrie.

Right answer.... shame on you Mike for ridding at Gulches on a day you were told I had a commitment!

Well the 11th & 18th are the only days Mark can go, and he, Andy and I had talked about riding there before we left Crawford's. Andy's never been.

Well if you guys go the 18th I'll move the Motor swap back a week. I bet Andy B might could make that trip too.

Back