• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anyone use the outer axle tube end seals for the D30?

RWKHausSupply

NAXJA Forum User
I have leaky inner seals on the front D30 and was thinking that why not just use the outer highend type tube seals to fix that as well as keep crap out of there.

My question though is if they will fit the ocer like 1995ish D30, they list 97-newer, and if they can be used to keep oil in the tube/housing?

I was thinking that why cant I just go ahead and let the tube be a wet setup and just make sure that I keep enough oil in the tube to where it wont want to run in to the tube anymore.. basically just keep the oil level about .25" above the inner seal as well as .25" high in the tube. But will this seal hold that?

Thanks

I think the seal will hold that small amount of extra oil. I have the axle seals that I got from Alloy USA. I am not sure if they fit 97 and newer, I have 98 and a 99 XJ... :( ;)

Can tell ya that they do work at stopping leaks and they grease up real good..lol!!!!

Rob,
There's no benefit to running the front tube 'wet'. there is nothing to lub outside the carrier housing.

If you did run it wet, wouldn't you want to clean the housing so any debris in the tube wouldn't be carried over the seal and to the carrier/R&P. If you have it taken apart enough to clean the tubes, just replace the inner seals.
Not to mention:
The outer dust shields aren't made for oil retention, they are made to catch dust/debris. That's why they are greased between the rubber diaphrams.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/52420_900.htm

http://www.4wheelparts.com/4wp/prod...rodline=4605&catName=Jeep+Accessories&man=ALY

For the cost, you can replace the actual inner seals 10 times and still be ahead.

Pull the axles, drop the cover, pull the carrier, replace the seals, reinstall the carrier, retorque the end cap bolts (with locktight) to 50 foot lbs, install cover and fill with oil.

Just a thought....

thanks for the input.. I know the OE seals are only like 5.99. But I seem to pull freaking axles or carrier enough to where I think I will damage the new OE ones again in the future. Not to mention that I put a pass side in a 2piece to one piece conv a few months back and that was the biggest PITA! about 3 later (after not going in straight 2 times) it still leaked slightly. SO maybe since I have to pull the axles anyways, maybe I will replace the pass inner since it seems to be leakign mostly, and then do the outers also.

I got them for 52 delivered from 4wheelerssupply. So its not all that bad. I know theres no real benifit to running oil in the tubes, but in the tubes is better then on the ground :)

I just wanted to make sure that these are in fact a true full seal and that they wont leak if oil does get past the inner seals..??

The seals will not work with the pre 96? axle shafts. I tried a set on my 94 with ABS and 297 joints, there are 2 different types of shafts for the 297 joints. On my 94 the seals wouldnt allow the shaft to seat all the way in the housing, the end of the shaft with the u-joint hit against the seal.

ROBERTK said:
thanks for the input.. I know the OE seals are only like 5.99. But I seem to pull freaking axles or carrier enough to where I think I will damage the new OE ones again in the future. Not to mention that I put a pass side in a 2piece to one piece conv a few months back and that was the biggest PITA! about 3 later (after not going in straight 2 times) it still leaked slightly. SO maybe since I have to pull the axles anyways, maybe I will replace the pass inner since it seems to be leakign mostly, and then do the outers also.

I got them for 52 delivered from 4wheelerssupply. So its not all that bad. I know theres no real benifit to running oil in the tubes, but in the tubes is better then on the ground :)

I just wanted to make sure that these are in fact a true full seal and that they wont leak if oil does get past the inner seals..??
Robert, how did this work out for you?

My DD driver is weeping on the driver side and this would be a quick and dirty way to make it last until I get around to getting a new axle built up.

LMK

TIA

reece146 said:
Robert, how did this work out for you?

My DD driver is weeping on the driver side and this would be a quick and dirty way to make it last until I get around to getting a new axle built up.

LMK

TIA

Hell I just went and replaced the inner seals. Figured I would have too sooner or later...

LOL

Spoiler.

:p

tell ya what i did. got tired of re track bar heim joints drying themselves out so I slathered them with grease as sort of an artificial dust boot. extended the life at least three times, but looks oh so getto.

when i did the ujoints on my d30 and had to wire wheel off the axle a bit 'o rust right behind those crappy plastic dust boot things, i did the same thing. Slapped a crap load of M1 grease on those plastic pieces and called it a day.

fwiw. it's an eight year old xj for heaven's sake. still willl never part with her.

entropy. get used to it :rof:

Back