• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aux. transmission cooler, before or after radiator

Black1990jeep

NAXJA Forum User
for my 1990 Cherokee I am mounting an auxilliary tranny cooler infront of radiator. it is a plate type cooler.

1... should I route the hose to the auxiliary cooler so it is before or after the radiator sidetank tranny cooler? It looks like the factory ran the optional auxiliary cooler after the sidetank, but some folks advise to go the other way, pros, cons of each?

2... My Cherokee is the early type that runs the tranny fluid into the top of the sidetank, and out the bottom, later cherokees reverse the flow thru the side tank by going in at bottom, out at top. Should I reverse the flow on mine to be like the later cherokees, or keep it as it is? pros and cons of each flow direction?

thanks!

Being in California you may choose to not even use the stock trans cooler -- it's questionable if you need it in warmer climates

I'm in NJ -- we see plenty of cold weather -- I chose to keep the stock trans cooler and add an aftermarket in front of the radiator -- I plumbed the extra cooler after the stock cooler

I used the bottom as the input on both coolers -- helps with air pockets inside of the coolers

I also used all -6an stainless braided Teflon hose and fittings throughout -- I don't want leaks and the factory hoses suck

Forgot to mention, I have a 2000 XJ

As Heavyopp said, since your in Cali I would plumb it before the radiator. What brand and size cooler did you buy?

Because of the heat issues in the area of California where I live, I routed the out of the OEM cooler to the lower side "in" of my auxiliary cooler and then the out of the "top" of the auxiliary cooler back to the transmission. I routed it this way to avoid getting air into the lines. I mounted the Auxiliary cooler in front of the radiator on the right side nearest the OEM cooler lines. I purchased this cooler and had enough transmission fluid grade rubber hose to do the job.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C3DDKO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Because of the heat issues in the area of California where I live, I routed the out of the OEM cooler to the lower side "in" of my auxiliary cooler and then the out of the "top" of the auxiliary cooler back to the transmission. I routed it this way to avoid getting air into the lines. I mounted the Auxiliary cooler in front of the radiator on the right side nearest the OEM cooler lines. I purchased this cooler and had enough transmission fluid grade rubber hose to do the job.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C3DDKO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks.. That is what I am doing, converting to bottom inlet on the sidetank from upper inlet, upper outlet on sidetank I am putting a flare to compression fitting, and bent a 180 degree U on aluminum tube to go on the compression fitting, flare the other end of U pipe for hose to cooler. The bottom port on sidetank I removed the quick connect and am putting a compression fitting to barb for hose. this will now be my inlet to sidetank.

Boy what a learning curve, different flow directions depending on year of jeep, little room with aircleaner housing, hence the U pipe on top of sidetank. Took me a while to figure best way to connect to the quick connect ends is a compression fitting, ACE hardware has these in brass. Got 10 feet of heavy duty 400 psi hose, beware some tranny hose is wimpy 150 psi stuff.

Back