• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transmission cooling pipe routing, hangers

Black1990jeep

NAXJA Forum User
Hi...
My 1990 I6 4.0 liter has the automatic tranny.

The cooling pipes and hoses for the ATF I dont think are routed nor supported correctly. the pipes come out of the tranny and cantilever all the way to where they connect to hose, and the hoses are hung by tie raps. it appears at one time the lower pulley even contacted one hose, it is nicked.

I figure there has to have been some sort of supports, or hangers for the pipes, and maybe even the hoses. perhaps mounted to the engine block, maybe by the oil pan bolts? The pipes as they are now are free to bounce around, this cant be right. The prior owner had an auxiliary ATF cooler installed, and the engine replaced, so maybe some the brackets or hangers where not hooked up, discarded.:doh:

Id like to fix this, but I have no idea how the factory did it, other than guessing.

Would someone please provide a description or photograph of the correct factory ATF cooler pipes and hose routing, and hanger brackets?

Thanks!

If you go buy replacement lines they will be pre-bent so you will see the routing. As for clamps, they route along the oil pan(using the oil pan bolts). You can buy those universally or grab some from the P-n-P.

It flows from transmission to radiator to aux cooler and back to transmission

391992d1501888390-pic-transmission-cooler-lines-diagram-chart-transcooler.jpg

thanks for the diagram. but now i am confused. per diagram the top radiator fitting for ATF is the input to radiator, but other sources say that the top radiator fitting is the ATF outlet.

was there a change in this over the model years? My tranny aux. cooler is plumbed from the top radiator fitting, 1990 cherokee with old pressure tank sealed cooling system

thanks for the diagram. but now i am confused. per diagram the top radiator fitting for ATF is the input to radiator, but other sources say that the top radiator fitting is the ATF outlet.

was there a change in this over the model years? My tranny aux. cooler is plumbed from the top radiator fitting, 1990 cherokee with old pressure tank sealed cooling system

As noted in previous threads, the FSM diagram is wrong. The coolers are supposed to fill from the bottom so you don't trap air in them. I believe it's supposed to go through the external aux cooler first, then the one in the radiator. The rear connection on the tranny is the return to the pan, and the front is the outlet to the coolers.
239840d1398184240t-trans-cooler-install-aw4transcoolerplumbing.jpg

I believe it's supposed to go through the external aux cooler first, then the one in the radiator.

Edit before I get yelled at - If you're in a hot environment where you need an aux cooler, you probably want it after the radiator cooler. If you're in a cold environment, you might want it the other way around as the radiator is also supposed to warm the fluid.

On my 1990 cherokee the hoses ARE routed per the first diagram posted above, fig 48 with supply on top of sidetank. should I reroute to avoid air entrapment?

PS my friends 2000 cherokee has its tranny cooler lines routed opposite from mine, supply on bottom! like the second diagram posted, so it appears the factory changed the flow direction thru the tank between 1990 and 2000 year models, wojld that be a correct statement, and again, should I reroute my hoses as the later jeeps, with supply on bottom?

also, I have no idea what pressures the tranny fluid is in the cooler, can anyone please let me know what pressures are involved?

thanks!

Back