• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

P0340 No Camshaft position sensor, circuit failure 99, 203000

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
P0340 indicates a fault in the Bank 1 (or single sensor) camshaft position sensor 'A' electrical circuit for a predetermined period of time.

Well amongst the other issues going I now have the CEL light and this p0340 code.
The light has come on and off during the past 4 days. The jeep drives fine, though one time yesterday it wouldn't start with the CEL light on, until I threw it into neutral. This far it still drives fine. Going to try some higher speed driving as ive any oddities here can help single out the sensor.

With the above would anyone be able to lean towards it being the camshaft position sensor indefinitely?

It's my only wheels and I'm trying to keep it on the road while addressing this. I appreciate any wise words and diagnosis procedures.

Thank you! for your help

Just Empty Every Pocket stands true

Last edited:
The OBD-II on-board diagnostics are pretty accurate, or they at least point in a specific direction for diagnostics.

What inspection and diagnostic trouble shooting have you performed ?

Thus far I've only gotten the code read to verify the reappearing CEL. Idle has been a bit odd just recently.
I've read to try moving wires around gently with the engine running, just to see if anything happens, no luck when trying this.
I'll keep researching to, unfortunately most threads I'm finding are model 2000s with ignition coils or 96-earlier.

I was advised to try testing resistance and spinning the crank to see if there is voltage output.
I have a new Mopar sensor on the way incase, I don't want this thing leaving me stranded.

Last edited:
Does it have a distributor, with the cam sensor inside?
I have had two failures with this sensor, one was a broken or loose connector wire to the sensor, and the other was a loose magnet on the sensor itself.

When installing the new sensor, I reinforced the magnet with epoxy glue to insure this one wouldn't break loose.

I'll bet the new sensor will fix it...

i went with a mopar Camshaft position sensor. CSPS

thus far i have not seen the CEL reappear. Im not surprised that this was going after the mileage.

Last edited:
Interesting. The codes said camshaft position sensor (distributor), but you replaced the crank position sensor on the transmission?

NO ARGHH, I just wrote the very thing that makes researching this CPS so difficult.

Correction:
CSPS!

I replaced the Cam Shaft Position Sensor. this was easily done on the distributor with a factory replacement part.

sorry all for the incorrect information.

Back