NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old March 14th, 2018, 18:35
NAXJA Forum User

Anyone restored their faded toggle switches? (locks, defrost, etc)

Was curious if anyone had restored their faded switched back to black and what did you use?

I tried some 303 last week with zero success...

I thought maybe I'd try some Meguire's black restorer, but would that stuff cover the white graphics on them?
Old March 15th, 2018, 17:12
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Anyone restored their faded toggle switches? (locks, defrost, etc)

I used wipe new that's for plastic on the out side of the car . it worked on the dash parts I used it on . worked better than any think else I used
Old March 17th, 2018, 02:46
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Anyone restored their faded toggle switches? (locks, defrost, etc)

I tried about 10 different products all claiming to restore plastic to its original finish. I had no success. I ended up replacing them with contura style switches. They have different connections (meaning the factory plug wont work) but there are configurations available to replace all of the factory switches. The rear wiper switch was the hardest to get the configuration right on but it does work and you get a bonus indicator light. Mine came from Blue Sea but there are many companies selling them at this point. I went to a West Marine store and was able to get what I needed in one stop.

If you find something that works to clean up the factory ones Id love to know. Ive got plenty of other 22 year old plastic bits that need restoration!