• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 xj misfire at idle

Also once it’s missing it misses regardless of gear, it only misses in the throttle if I ever so slightly push it but if it’s at any significant rpm it doesn’t seem to be missing.

Define "idle speeds" please. RPMs, mphs? with foot on the brake or not?

Try to get it to miss in park. Then you can easily test fuel pressure, sensor voltages, back probe sensors while it is missing. Wiggle everything you can connector and wiring wise to see if they can trigger the miss.

Until you can get a repeatable pattern, it is hard to find. But if you can get a repeatable pattern, I would disconnect the O2 sensor and see if it stops. Or back probe it, and be monitoring live fuel pressure for sure, as gunning it may slosh gas around in the gas tank, and if a hose is coming loose there, or trash blocking the suction filter it might be an issue there.

I haven’t tried gunning it in park when it’s not missing as bad to see if that causes it(unfortunately it started missing bad again yesterday).

What I mean by it missing after driving agressivly is that it doesn’t miss when in the throttle it starts missing at idle speeds after driving aggressively.

Distributor is brand new and problem existed before new distributor.

Air filter is pretty new and clean.

Also once it’s missing it misses regardless of gear, it only misses in the throttle if I ever so slightly push it but if it’s at any significant rpm it doesn’t seem to be missing.

Bad spot on the TPS guts near the idle position? That is possible. Or a sticking IAC if it only does it on deceleration when your foot is not on the gas giving it air still!!!

The TPS tells the ECU when to give it gas, the throttle body gives it air, both when you stomp on the gas pedal. Closed TPS, foot off the gas the ECU controls fuel rate (using O2 sensor and temp sensor and MAP data) through the injectors, while the the ECU operates the IAC air feed valve to control rpms.....

Ecomike might be onto something with the TPS suggestion, since the trouble is associated with throttle movement.

The orange spark on #1 is a mystery. You might try unplugging the ECM and spraying the connector with WD-40 for effect...

I think he already fixed the orange spark with a new coil, but it made no sensor that just plug #1 would be weak due to a dying spark coil. Funky dizzy cap would have made more sense.

Ecomike might be onto something with the TPS suggestion, since the trouble is associated with throttle movement.

The orange spark on #1 is a mystery. You might try unplugging the ECM and spraying the connector with WD-40 for effect...

Back